Thirty - Nine ✔

Christian

My eyes flutter open, and the world comes into a blurry focus. Disorientation sets in, a heavy fog obscuring my surroundings. It takes a moment for the events of the past to surge back, hitting me like a freight train. Victoria's abduction.

The stark reality jolts me into awareness, and I sit up abruptly, a dull ache resonating through my body. The room spins momentarily before settling into a harsh clarity. Rico, Francis, and my father are there, their faces etched with concern.

"Christian," Rico's voice cuts through the haze, and I see his features sharpening as my vision adjusts. "Easy, man. Take it slow."

"What happened?" I manage to rasp, my throat dry and scratchy.

Francis hands me a glass of water, and I gulp it down, the cool liquid providing a brief respite. My mind races, the pieces of the puzzle slowly clicking into place. Victoria. Matteo.

"They took her," I say, the weight of those words hitting me anew. "Matteo took Victoria."

The room is heavy with a collective intake of breath, the gravity of the situation mirrored in their eyes. My father's gaze is steady, a silent understanding passing between us.

"We're on it, Christian," Francis asserts, his tone firm. "We've got our feelers out, and we're gathering intel."

My father places a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "We'll find her, son. We won't rest until she's back."

I nod, gratitude swelling for the allies around me. Yet, beneath the veneer of determination, a storm of emotions rages within. Guilt, anger, and an overwhelming sense of responsibility.

"She's my light," I murmur, more to myself than to them. "I can't lose her."

Rico's hand clasps my shoulder, a silent gesture of solidarity. "We won't let that happen, Christian. We'll do whatever it takes."

Gritting my teeth against the pain, I push myself upright, fueled by a surge of determination. The room steadies as I join the discussion, my mind focused on the task at hand – finding Victoria.

"We need to trace every connection, every lead," I assert, my voice cutting through the tension. "Matteo won't keep her in one place for long, and we need to act fast."

Rico nods in agreement, already poring over a map, marking territories and potential hideouts. Francis, his fingers dancing across a keyboard, is deep into the digital realm, unraveling any threads that may lead to Matteo.

I turn to my father, his expression mirroring a mix of concern and resolve. "Dad, we have to find her. I won't let anything happen to Victoria."

His gaze is unwavering. "We will, Christian. But we need to be strategic. Rushing in without a plan could jeopardize everything."

I clench my jaw, absorbing the advice even as impatience claws at my insides. Victoria is out there, alone and in danger, and I can't bear the thought of her suffering.

As the investigation unfolds, I can't shake the nagging question that needles at the back of my mind. How did Matteo know where we were? The safe house was supposed to be impenetrable, a fortress of secrecy. I voice my concerns.

"How could anyone know where we were?" I ask, frustration evident in my tone. "And how did they breach all that security?"

Rico glances up from the map, concern etched on his face. "We're looking into it, Christian. There might be a leak, but we need more time to figure it out."

I clench my fists, the unsettling realization settling in. A traitor in our midst, or worse, someone with inside information. The very thought turns my stomach.