Fourteen ✔

Still livid from what happened during the night, I go to open the door someone has been knocking like a maniac. I throw open the door with a little too much pent up force, causing the man standing behind it to take a startled step back. His unnaturally blue eyes are wide and I quickly send him an apologetic smile.

"Sorry about that. Can I help you?"

"Uh, yeah. Do you know where I can find Victoria Forbes?" He asks a little hesitantly, most likely intimidated by my appearance. I can't exactly blame him. Crumpled clothes and blue bags under my eyes had become the norm over the weeks.

"Who's asking?" I don't mean for it to come out so rude, but I can't help feeling slightly agitated at this whole situation.

"Oh dear, where are my manners?" He exclaims, a cheery smile lighting up his face and revealing small dimples on his tanned cheeks. "May I introduce myself, they call me--"

"Rico." 

"Christian, my man! Glad to see you're still breathing." Rico laughs, the beaming smile not faltering once. 

 "What took you so long?" 

 Rico quickly raises his arms in defence, the smile faltering slightly. "Listen man, I swear it wasn't my idea. We were just following orders, you know we would never leave you." The once cheery expression turns sombre as his sapphire blue eyes plead with Chrisitan to believe him. "I was going to come back for you."

 Watching their small exchange from the sidelines, I'm beginning to suspect that these two are more than what can be seen at first glance. They have a deep bond, a kind of loyalty that one can't help but admire. A brotherhood. 

Even though it is clear as day that they are far from related, Rico has lighter hair and ocean blue eyes, a warmth surrounds him like a blanket. Christian on the other hand is pretty much the opposite with dark eyes, raven hair and an ever constant veil of dark tension hovering above his head.  

I watch as Rico and Christian exchange a few words that I can't quite catch. Their camaraderie is palpable, a shared history that seems to outweigh the complications of the present. Christian turns to me with a strained expression, his dark eyes meeting mine.

"Victoria, I need to go for a while. It's not safe for you if I stay."

The words hit me like a cold gust of wind. I didn't expect this – didn't anticipate him leaving so abruptly after everything we've been through. My chest tightens with an unfamiliar pain, but I swallow my disappointment and manage a nod.

"I get it. Do what you have to do," I reply, my voice steady despite the storm of emotions swirling within me.

Christian's gaze holds a mixture of gratitude and regret. "I can't risk putting you in danger anymore. You've done more than enough for me. I won't forget it."

I want to tell him that he's not just some burden I carried – that I willingly chose to stand by him, but the words get stuck in my throat. Instead, I muster a small smile. "Take care of yourself, Christian. If you ever need help again, you know where to find me."

He nods, the unspoken understanding lingering in the air. With a final glance, Christian follows Rico down the corridor, leaving behind a void that echoes with what could have been.

As the door clicks shut, I lean against the wall, a wave of conflicting emotions crashing over me. The house, once filled with the shared moments of vulnerability and connection, feels emptier than ever.

But I won't let my disappointment show. Not now. I've learned to navigate storms, both external and internal. With a deep breath, I straighten up, ready to face whatever comes next.

..

In the days that follow Christian's sudden departure, I find myself adjusting to a new rhythm, a life that once again revolves solely around my responsibilities. The apartment, once filled with shared laughter and whispered conversations, now echoes with an eerie silence. The solitude feels heavy, yet I push through the emptiness.

Work becomes my refuge. The hospital, with its bustling hallways and demanding duties, provides a distraction from the void Christian left behind. I throw myself into my tasks, trying to drown out the lingering memories. But every now and then, in the midst of a medical procedure or a routine check-up, I catch myself glancing at the door, half-expecting Christian to walk in with that guarded yet comforting presence.

Nights are the hardest. The quiet hours, once shared with Christian's presence, become a battleground against loneliness. The couch where we watched movies together feels colder, and the laughter that once filled these walls is replaced by an uneasy stillness. I find solace in my nightly routine, in the pages of a book or the comforting glow of a muted television. But the absence is a constant companion.

Weeks pass, and I slowly learn to navigate life on my own again. The ache of his departure lingers, but resilience becomes my ally. I reconnect with old friends, inviting them into the quiet spaces that were once reserved for Christian. The support of those around me helps bridge the gap, a testament to the strength found in shared connections.

One weekend, I decide to revisit the places Christian and I frequented together. The park, the café – each step carries the weight of bittersweet memories. I discover that the echoes of his presence have woven themselves into the fabric of these places, making them both haunting and comforting.

The realization dawns that life, much like a storm, is unpredictable. People come and go, leaving imprints on our hearts. I embrace the ebb and flow, finding solace in the understanding that connections, no matter how fleeting, shape the narratives of our lives.

As I stand in the park, watching leaves dance in the wind, I carry the lessons learned during those tumultuous weeks. Life moves forward, and so must I. The storm may have passed, but its echoes remain as a reminder of the shared spaces between two weary souls.

..