Twenty-One ✔

I stare at Christian, my mind racing to process the truth he's laid bare. The man I thought I knew, the one who shared laughter and vulnerability with me, is intricately entangled in a dangerous world I can hardly comprehend.

The mafia?

"Why didn't you tell me?" The words slip out, a mixture of hurt and anger lacing my voice.

Christian lifts his eyes to meet mine, a storm of emotions swirling in his gaze. "I wanted to protect you. I thought if you didn't know, you'd be safe."

"But I'm not safe, Christian! I got attacked, and they knew who I was. How am I supposed to trust you now?" My voice wavers, a tremor betraying my attempt to hold back tears.

He steps closer, his hand reaching for mine. "Victoria, I never wanted you involved in this. That's why I left, to keep you safe. But they found you, and I can't bear the thought of anything happening to you."

Rico, who had been listening silently, steps forward. "Christian's been fighting this battle alone for a long time. He's got a lot of enemies, and he wanted to keep you out of it."

A mix of emotions swirls within me—confusion, fear, and a hint of understanding. I glance between Christian and Rico, contemplating the gravity of the situation.

"I need some time to think," I finally say, pulling my hand away. The weight of the newfound truth hangs in the air, and as I leave the room, I can feel the weight of Christian's gaze on my back. The door closes behind me, leaving us both to grapple with the repercussions of unveiling secrets that were buried for far too long.

In the solitude of my room, I sit on the edge of the bed, the revelation echoing in my mind. The quiet hum of the city outside is a stark contrast to the tumult within me. I thought I was helping a man heal from his physical wounds, not stumbling into the labyrinth of a criminal empire.

The knocks on my door interrupt my thoughts. I hesitate for a moment before calling, "Come in."

The door creaks open, revealing Christian's concerned expression. He enters cautiously, as if afraid his presence might shatter the fragile peace within the room.

"Victoria, please, let me explain," he implores, his eyes searching for any sign of forgiveness in mine.

I take a deep breath, steadying myself. "Explain, then," I say, gesturing for him to continue.

He takes a seat across from me, the distance between us feeling both too great and not enough. "I grew up in a world most people can't even fathom. My dad was the head of a powerful mafia family," Christian begins, his voice carrying the weight of years of secrecy. "I tried to distance myself from that life, but circumstances forced me to step into his shoes. The responsibility, the danger—it's a burden I never wanted you to bear."

I listen, my mind racing to connect the dots between the man before me and the dangerous world he was entangled in. "And that's why you left?" I ask, my voice a mixture of disbelief and hurt.

He nods, a pained expression crossing his face. "I wanted to protect you, Victoria. I thought by keeping you away, you could live a normal life, away from the shadows that haunted my every step."

"Why didn't you trust me enough to make that choice for myself?" I retort, my frustration breaking through.

Christian looks down, unable to meet my gaze. "I was selfish. I thought I could shield you from the darkness, but it found you anyway. I never wanted you to be part of this world."

Rico, who had been standing by the door, adds, "Christian's been doing everything he can to dismantle the empire his father built. He's been trying to make amends, to create a safer world. But it's a dangerous game, and he wanted to keep you out of it."