Another

~~~~~

When Kana woke up, she found herself in her bed, still wearing her mission clothes. She yawned and rubbed at her eyes before throwing off the covers and sitting up. She changed out of her battle kimono and put on a simple red T-shirt and black sweatpants, along with her sandals.

She left her room in search of Itachi, or anyone for that matter. She wasn't sure what time it was and she still had more training to do. She was giddy to tell Sasori that she mastered tree/wall walking.

"Kana, great timing!"

Kana turned around and smiled when she saw Konan. The woman smiled back and gave the girl a gentle hug, patting her messy hair.

"Pein-sama wants to see you." Konan said.

"Pein-sama?" Kana repeated. "Am I in trouble?"

"I don't think so, but don't worry, I'll be there with you." Konan promised.

"Okay, let's go." Kana nodded.

They walked in silence to Pein's office, down the dark hallways and stopping at the office door. Konan didn't even need to knock before Pein called out in his low rugged voice. After being welcomed in, the two girls stepped into the dimly lit office, their eyes already used to the dark thanks to the always dark interior of the base. 

"I know this is a little soon," Pein sighed, keeping eye contact with Kana. "But I'd like you to tag along on another mission, Kana."

"Who will I be going with?" Kana asked. "Is it Sasori and Deidara? Or maybe Kisame? Konan?"

"No," Pein answered smoothly, folding his hands together on top his desk. "You will go with me."

"Just the two of you?" Konan asked. "Am I going as well?"

"You cannot come with us," Pein grumbled. "I need someone to remain in charge while I'm gone."

"Alright, I'll stay here and be in charge," Konan sighed. "But at least tell me where you two will be headed."

"Into the area surrounding Takigakure." Pein replied.

"What business do you have in Taki?" Konan asked incredulously.

"This is about that conversation we had about funding," Pein replied. "We now have more members, more things to buy, including food and tools. At least Kana doesn't require food, less to buy." 

"So who are you recruiting?" Konan asked.

"Kakazu of the Jiongu." Pein replied.

"The man rumoured to have immortality?" Konan gasped. "You do realize that even Taki isn't sure that he is alive, right?"

"I am aware," Pein replied. "If he is alive, he would be very old by now, probably pushing almost ninety or a hundred."

"What evidence do you have that he is alive?" Konan asked, crossing her arms.

"A man has been spotted turning in bounties for money at bounty stations at the edge of the Land of Earth, Kusagakure, and even the Land of Fire." Pein explained. "He has already shown that he is quite good at bounty hunting, he will rein in the funds."

"While this is a great plan and all, you do realize that Kakazu is known to be quite violent, along with the fact that he doesn't get along well with others." Konan sighed.

"Which is why we will have to find him an unkillable partner." Pein reasoned.

"Another immortal?" Konan sighed. "I hope you realize that immortals don't just fall out of the sky."