Prelims

After a long explanation from the Third Hokage and a brief introduction of a man named Hayate Gekko, the preliminary round was about to begin, with every genin being given the option to drop out or continue. Those who continued would be randomly selected to participate in a match with another genin, if they won they would be guaranteed a spot in the final tournament. 

The originally black screen lit up, names flashing across the board too fast for anyone to read. Eventually, though, the board stopped, landing on two names. Azumi grinned, her face stretched in a wide smile, which seemed uncharacteristic for her, but she was obviously happy. Why? Her name had been lit up on the board, along with the name of a cocky Amegakure shinobi from her old class.

"Azumi Rokusho and Tarou Ryuuga, please come down." Hayate said, afterwards coughing into his fist.

Azumi didn't bother to walk down the steps, she vaulted over the bars, landing in a crouch to spread out her weight. Tarou opted for the normal way of getting down and took the stairs, standing across from her.

"You both- ack!- ready?" Hayate asked, coughing mid-sentence. 

"Oh yeah." Azumi nodded, her hand itching to reach for her sword.

"Remember, no lethal attacks, get your opponent to surrender or you are to knock them out," Hayate said, eyeing them both, but he seemed to be especially interested in Azumi. "You may begin."

With one hand Azumi unsheathed her sword, and with the other, she pulled out a small, innocent-looking scroll. Tarou drew a kunai and charged her, his blade pushing against hers.

"So glad I get to kick your ass." Tarou smirked, his voice coming out gravely because of the rebreather he wore. 

"Sorry Tarou, but I'm going to be the one kicking ass." Azumi replied, her tongue darting out to lick her lips as her icy orbs flashed.

Azumi forced his kunai out of his hand and dashed forward with her scroll open in her palm. Her hood ended up slipping off her head and her medium length dark blue hair spilled out. She didn't seem to care though, as she kept up her advance, always trying to force him into a corner. Tarou tried his best to nimbly get out of danger, sometimes escaping with a scratch, however, he did eventually slip up. Azumi managed to trip him, sticking her scroll to his chest. Tarou tried to quickly rip it off, but the seal activated, giving his nerves a jolt, making him flinch uncontrollably for a few seconds. When he did finally stop shaking, cool steel touched his chin, making him look up in fear.

"Surrender asshole." She smirked, tapping her sword to his chin again to emphasize her point.

"Yeah, yeah, I surrender." He scoffed, peeling the scroll off his chest.

Then the world around him rippled, and he saw that he wasn't where he remembered. Instead, he was sitting on the ground where he and Azumi had first engaged in a battle of blades. He stared up at Azumi in confusion, seeing that her blade had been sheathed, and the scroll she held was still in her hand.

"W-what happened?" Tarou asked, thoroughly confused.

"I showed you a real fight, what would've happened if I didn't want to make a point." Azumi replied, Tarou now noticing that her hood was still on her head as if it never left.

"What point?" He asked with a glare.

"That genjutsu should be feared, and is more dangerous than people realize." Azumi grinned. "Oh, and thanks for surrendering without a fight, that was an easy win."

"Easy!" Tarou scoffed. "I fought hard!"

"When we locked blades I trapped you in a genjutsu, everything after that was just genjutsu." Azumi explained like she was talking to a toddler. "To a spectator, we fought, you fell to the ground, and when you got up you surrendered."