Nara

Kana hopped from foot to foot, teeming with excitement at the idea of fighting someone from a well-known and respected clan. Kakazu educated her on how their jutsus work, and so she was already planning ahead in her head, aware that the Nara boy could be thinking even farther ahead then she was.

"So you're Shikamaru Nara, right?" Kana asked, stretching her legs more misdirection.

"Yep." He lazily replied, hands in his pockets and his back hunched.

"With the pre-battle banter out of the way, are the combatants ready?" Hayate coughed out with a bored look.

"Ready!" Kana chirped, one hand behind her to reach for one of her kodachi as she lowered herself into a low stance.

"I'm ready..." Shikamaru sighed.

"Then begin."

When Shikamaru made no move to even twitch a finger, Kana took the chance for an opening move. Charging some chakra into her legs, she took a runners stance at him, drawing her kodachi and making a swipe at his legs, his hands formed a sign, and right before her eyes, his shadow began stretching at her. Her hands blurred and she sank into the floor, disappearing underground, where his shadow couldn't reach her. She reappeared on the surface, taking note of how far the shadow stretched.

Kana smirked.

"While your clan's techniques are impressive, they do have limits and weaknesses," She grinned, dusting the dirt off her shoulders. "For example; as long as there is no way for your shadow to reach underground, you can't catch me."

"So even Ame's genin know about my clan," Shikamaru hummed. "At least you're not stupid."

"Oh, I'm not, but believe me, some genin in Ame are stupid as hell." She chuckled, twirling the short blade in her hands.

While she made conversation with him, her mind was trying to think of all the different long-range techniques she could use. Although she really wanted to fight close range, that was a bad idea with Nara's. Deciding that a technique to knock him out would be her best bet, her mind sifted through all the earth and water techniques she knew. Lightning would be perfect right now, however, she had only started to learn the lightning bullet technique, so there was no guarantee that it would work again.

Weighing options in her head was getting to be a tiring task. She debated if she should use a second affinity as a shock factor, catch him off guard then strike, but there was a chance that it wouldn't work.

Something in the back of her mind giggled.

"Why not wow him?" Shin whispered. "I love the look of surprise on people's faces."

Kana hummed in though. 'He knows I use kodachi and earth style, so surprising him with chakra strings and water style could be a good idea.

Sheathing her short blades, her hand blurred together, making a few jonin's eyes widen. 

"Water style: water bullet!"

Shikamaru's eyes widened as he barely dodged a condensed ball of water, then weaving out of the way of two shurikens that was thrown at him. His eyes widened again when she tugged her hands back. He glanced behind him just in time to see the shuriken coming back at him. He dodged one, but the second one sliced past his right leg, making him wince and shift his weight to his other leg. 

Kana's hands blurred again and her cheeks swelled, but before she could release the jutsu, he spoke up.

"I surrender."

She stopped, spitting out a small glob of chakra infused water which had been building in her cheek.

"Dammit!" She roared, pointing an accusing finger at him. "I wanted a fucking fight!"