Genin

A/N

Kana is about twelve years old now, Yuki and Gray are a little bigger than Shippuden Akamaru!

~~~~~

"A genin?!" Kana exclaimed. "You've got to be kidding me!"

Kana stood before Pein's desk, a hand on her hip. Gray was curled up at her feet, now a lot bigger than his puppy self.

"I know that you are well above genin level by now," Pein sighed. "But I am doing this for a reason."

"What reason?!" She huffed. "I'm plenty strong!"

"I know Kana, but I now have to think about the well being of Amegakure as well." He replied calmly. "Starting by proving how powerful Ame is."

"How are you going to do that?" Gray asked, raising his head from the floor.

"By entering her in the chunin exams." Pein replied. "But I can only do that if she is registered as a genin of Amegakure, and to do that, she needs to go to the academy and pass their graduation exam."

"Okay, fine, I'll do it!" Kana huffed, crossing her arms. "But I want to go out, and I mean outside of the village."

"That works for me, I have the perfect mission for when you get back." Pein replied. "Now get going, I've already informed the teacher doing the exam of your situation. She will be waiting for you at the front of the academy."

"When do I have to be there?" Kana asked.

"Ten minutes from now."

A moment of silence passed before Gray and Kana scrambled to get up.

"Thanks for the warning!" She yelled as she dashed out of the office.

Gray was hot on her heels, knocking things over and rushing past Akatsuki members. He howled with laughter every time an Akatsuki member tumbled. The two dashed down the stairs and into the streets. Kana hopped onto Gray's back, holding onto the scruff of his neck as they ran.  Rain pelted them as they made their way to the academy, rushing past civilians and shinobi alike.

Gray skid to a stop at the academy's front door, kneeling so that Kana could get off.

"Good luck on your exam!" Gray called before vanishing.

Kana nodded and faced the building, watching as a woman with long purple hair approached.

"I'm guessing that you're the one I'm going to be testing?" The woman asked, glancing at her watch. "Excellent timing! Wow, you made it here right on time!"

"Hello, my name's Kana." Kana replied.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Tsubaki-sensei." She introduced. "Now let's head inside and get the exam over with."

~~~~~

Tsubaki-sensei sat behind a desk, a clipboard in her hand and a single headband resting on the table next to her.

"Please make two clones."

Kana did as asked and made two clones.

"Now, throw a kunai and make it hit the target." She said, pointing to a target on the wall.

Her kunai hit the center of the target.

"What extra skills are you working on or mastered?"

"I can use double kodachi, I have tracking abilities, I have my wolf summons, and I believe I am much higher ranking than a genin." Kana answered.

"My, my, confident, aren't you?" Tsubaki chuckled. "We'll just have to wait for the chunin exams and see."

She held out the headband with a smile, placing the blue cloth in Kana's hands.

"Congratulations!" Tsubaki smiled. "You pass!"

~~~~~

Kana left the academy, the cloth of her new headband rubbing against her fingers as she thought about where to wear it. It was a foreign feeling; the feeling of now having ties to a village. Before she simply lived there, now, she was a part of it, while the rest of the Akatsuki were still without a village.

"Summoning jutsu." Kana said, tapping the ground.

Instead of Gray appearing, Yuki was there instead, and at her summoners side in an instant.

"Are you alright?" Yuki asked. "You seem... Distant."

"I'm fine, just thinking about something." Kana replied. "I thought we could run back to the tower together and talk about what's been happening."

"Alright, Gray was saying something about a test," Yuki sighed, waiting for Kana to get on her back.

"Yeah, I'm now a kunoichi of Amegakure," Kana sighed back. "A genin."

Yuki let out a sharp bark of laughter as they walked through the rainy streets.

"Sorry, it's just, I can't see you as a genin." Yuki chuckled.

"Well, I won't be a genin for long," Kana replied. "The chunin exams are right around the corner. That, and I'll be going on a mission soon."

"Where?" Yuki asked.

"Not sure." Kana shrugged.

"Is Pein-sama letting you go alone?" Yuki asked.

Kana just shrugged. "I hope so."

~~~~~

"So, what's my mission?" Kana asked, now back in Pein's office.

"I need you to go to the Land of Waves and recruit someone." Pein replied. "I've been trying to track him down for a while, but I've only now managed to find his location."

"The Land of Waves?" Kana asked. "That's kind of far..."

"I know, but who knows when he will show up again." Pein sighed. "I only know where he is because he's now working for a well-known business man who's been dabbling into illegal business lately."

"What kind of illegal business?" Kana asked.

"Things like drugs, weapons, anything along those lines." Pein explained, passing her a document over the desk.

Kana picked up the paper and read the information looking back up at Pein.

"So my task is to get this guy to join us?" Kana asked.

"That's right, and you can leave as early as tomorrow." Pein said.

"I'm going alone?" Kana said with a skeptical look.

"I doubt you'll be alone," Pein scoffed. "One or both of those muts will be following you."

"You're lucky neither of them are here." Kana sighed.

"Those two are too well-behaved to attack." Pein replied.

"That won't stop the insults." Kana chuckled.

"Sometimes I hate the fact that summons can talk." Pein sighed, shuffling some papers.

"Anyway, I'm going to go pack now." Kana said, walking towards the door.

"Alright, good night, Kana." Pein replied with a nod.

"Good night."

Kana left the office, looking over the papers in her hands once again. She gathered information as she read. He was a swordsman, from Kirigakure, and held the title of 'Demon of the Mist,' along with being S-rank.

Kana looked at the name again, testing it out on her tongue.

"Zabuza Momochi."

A/N

Yes, extra members of the Akatsuki! I can't wait to write the next chapter, I have pretty big plans for it. Hope you liked this chapter! Drop a vote if you liked it!