Kakazu

~~~~~

Pein and Kana rested on the forest floor, their backs against trees. Pein had called for a short break, he never said why, but it was in fact so he could get a plan together. Kana getting time to train was just a bonus for her.

Kana didn't even glance at Pein, directing all her focus to the kunai she was holding with a two-foot-long chakra string. She twitched her fingers and watched as the kunai twitched back. With her weapon raised, she curved it back, using the string to hurl it into a tree. She grinned at her success when she heard the thud of the kunai hitting wood. She stood up and retrieved the knife, slipping it back into her pouch.

"Is there any water around here?" Kana asked.

"I believe there is a pond about a kilometre north of here," Pein replied, looking at Kana in confusion. "Why do you need water?"

"Sasori said I should try walking on water, but I haven't practiced that once!" Kana frowned.

"Go to the pond," Pein sighed. "I will come to fetch you in twenty minutes."

"Thanks, Pein-sama!" Kana grinned, running into the trees.

Pein just nodded, watching as her figure melted into the shadows of the trees.

~~~~~

Kana continued north, and about five minutes later, found the small pond that Pein spoke of. The pond was full of deep blue water, the surface rippling from what she assumed were small winged creatures. Bugs, she believed they were called.

Just to keep her things dry, she set her pack, shoes and weapons pouch on the shore before she set to work. She stepped around the many aquatic plants, channelling chakra into her feet as she stepped onto the water. The surface rippled from her movements, making it hard to stand still. She took a single step forward, then sank. She panicked for a moment, not sure how to get back up, but the pond was no more than three and a half feet deep. Kana, now slightly annoyed and sopping wet, stood up, getting out of the water to try again.

She channelled the chakra to her feet again, concentrated, and then-

"AH!"

Kana leapt out of the water, landing ashore just in time to see the shadow of a tall man approaching. In his grasp was the body of a man. It was easy to tell he was dead, just from the amount of blood she smelled. The tall man covered in stitches saw her and tossed the body aside, sighing as he laid eyes on the girl.

"I'm not going to make much money off of people like this," He scoffed, looking at the man's corpse. "I doubt you're in the bingo book."

The man then shrugged.

"Maybe someone will pay to have you." He chuckled, his masked face contorting into a grin.

Kana took a step back, reaching for a kunai she didn't have. She scowled at her mistake, facing the man who now stood against her. At the promise of a fight, her right eye changed to black and red, making her opponent, tilt his head.

"Interesting," He said. "I wonder what's up with you."

Without warning his fist rocketed forward, grabbing at her neck. Kana ducked, rolling to the right as her heart thudded in her chest. Was this what fear felt like?

"That was a nice dodge," He grunted. "But I don't plan on missing again."

Kana tried something she'd never tried before, something incredibly stupid. She focused on her back, covering it in chakra strings that then attached themselves to a tree. She pulled herself into the tree, making her back smack against it. Pain erupted through her body. The man she fought chuckled.