Kill Me Now

Chapter 19

Kill Me Now

"Miss.Grace!" Miss. Grace!" "Miss. Grace!" Screamed the crowd of reporters behind me. I tried to make it all a blur of sound but it was almost impossible. Finally I turned deciding not to open the door of my office right away and meet the almost divorced couple in my office.

"Miss.Grace. What do you think about the things that Ms.Bateman is saying about your client John Leroy?" Asked on of the dozen reporters on the steps of my office building.

"I think the allegations that Gabby Bateman is stating about John Leroy are absolute lies. I know my clients and knowing them means knowing all of their secrets." I stated ready to turn around, when another reporter asked me another question that caught my attention and made a chill go up my back.

"Miss.Grace do you know that if your client's wife's allegations are really true you are subject to jail time for possibly knowing this." All the other reporters stopped asking questions and I turned around for one last time.

"I do." And then I entered the building.

"Spencer I was just about to help you out of that mess. What were they asking?" Asked Regina holding the door to the elevator open.

I walked in a pressed the twelfth floor. "Simple questions, nothing I couldn't answer. What do you have on the reporter." 

"Well he used to teach at a college until an incident ended that, but we still aren't sure what the incident was."

"Find out."

"Really he has no job. He works one shift at a diner, and he runs an underground newspaper that can only be accessed online. He has a life that sucks. No one reads his news paper. But this is the biggest news edition that he had. twenty five people have read the story. Usually the average is only three. So it's clear that people besides the usual are finding the story."

"Find out more, I'll be in my office. Don't interrupt this meeting is important." I told her stepping out of the elevator.

I walked into my office to find the soon to be divorced couple in my office sitting in chair on their cellphones.

"Thank you for coming Gabby."

"Yep." She said still looking at her phone.

"I called you here because saying to John and I that you want a divorce is one thing but then telling the public that you want a divorce from John because he physically abuses you is completely irrational."

"Since when has anything in my life been rational? When you came into my life it pretty much ended rational." She said looking at John.

"Do not blame me for all the problems that you have." John answered back finally looking at her. "You said you would be with me on running for public office. You said you would do anything for me. What Changed?"

"What changed is that I finally found out telling you what I was hiding was the best thing I could have done. You're brother is in John's life, and I have realized that you never really loved me."

"Of course I loved you. You were the one who didn't love me! You cheated on me with my brother!"

"You ran a prostitution ring!"

"You lied to me about having a son."

"You are lying to the people about being a good man!"

"Stop it!" I shouted about them. "You both have done terrible things to each other. But Gabby you did promise to be with John through this campaign. You hired me to help you through out this campaign and I will continue to. But I can't solve your marriage. You have to do that. So tell me what are you going to do."

There was silence in the room telling me that they were thinking. I was thinking too. If they decided to get a divorce in the middle of the campaign then there would be a chance of losing the campaign. Which would reflect badly on me. But if they stayed married they could win the campaign but would they be unhappy. Most likely.

"I want you both to know that there is a reporter that still believes the story about John running the prostitution ring. And if that gets big you both along with myself have the possibility of going to jail."

"I can't go to jail I have two kids to support. They need their mother."

"I have two kids too Gabby."

"No you have a child as you have so recently pointed out. And if you went to jail I am positive that we would be able to manage with out you."

"With the so great help of MY brother James. He's not all he's cut out to be you know! When he was sleeping with you. He was also sleeping with half the prostitutes in my ring. He never really loved you. I was the only one that did. But when he found out the you had a son that was his. What else could he do except take care of him? I took care of him for the past six years while James-the god-is in his huge house doing nothing. James broke up our marriage more then anything else. How dare you blame me for everything, from not being a good husband, to be the one that should rightfully go to jail." John told her standing up. Gabby had the look of fear in her eyes.

"I'm leaving you John." And with that she got up out her chair and left the room not looking back.

"John this time I think that she's telling you the truth. She really is leaving you." I told him this standing up from my chair and coming out from behind my desk.

"Thank you for your time Spencer." And with that he left the office.

I stood there for a while thinking of the first time I met Gabby and John. Back in the times when they had a good marriage. Back before me.