Part Two - Chapter Twenty: Held for Ransom

Cristiano held his head in his hands as the two policemen talked about Alexa’s abduction, he wanted to wake up; he couldn’t believe that this was happening.

Sitting on the table in front of Cristiano was a ransom note which had been written in blood; no one had to guess to know that the blood was Alexa’s.

“Mr. Aveiro we are doing what we can to find your fiancée,” the officer said trying to offer Cristiano some comfort, there wasn’t a lot to go on and they were no closer to finding Alexa.

Dolores comforted Cristiano as Junior babbled, he had no idea what all the fuss was about all he knew was that his mummy hadn’t come home with his daddy.

“This wouldn’t have happened if you’d found the two men that had assaulted her in the first place,” Katia snapped frustrated, she hated to think of what Alexa was going through right now; if they had stepped up their search this wouldn’t of happened.

Cristiano took a deep breath as he looked at the two officers, he didn’t know what to do anymore and he wished that he had some way of bringing Alexa home safely.

“Are there any leads?” Cristiano pleaded wanting some news, he didn’t like not going and he wanted to know that they had some way of assuring him that his fiancée was okay.  

“We have a CCTV tape of Alexa being abducted,” the officer revealed making Cristiano look at him; he would do anything to get Alexa back even if it meant giving her abductors the money they wanted.

Cristiano knew it wasn’t an option but he wanted her home, Alexa meant so much to him and he couldn’t sleep knowing that these men could hurt her.

“We’re waiting to identify the kidnapper before we make our next move,” the officer said making Cristiano frown, it could be too late for Alexa before they even had a chance to look for her.

***

Alexa winced as David cleaned her hand, Joseph had cut it open to write the ransom note that had been sent to Cristiano; he couldn’t bring himself to look in her eyes as he cleaned the wound.

“I’m sorry,” David murmured softly it had been a week since Alexa had been taken and he had tried to talk Joseph out of his plan which had resulted in him being beaten.

Alexa watched him working on keeping her injury clean, at the moment she was just happy that Joseph hadn’t tried to rape her yet; though she doubted it wouldn’t be long before it happen the longer that she was here.

In the year and four months that she had dated Cristiano, Alexa had never thought that this would how she would end up; if Joseph didn’t get his money then he was going to kill her.

David quickly moved away from Alexa as Joseph walked into the room holding a phone; the man smirked as he collected Alexa’s mobile phone from the safe and got Cristiano’s number.

“You keep quiet,” Joseph said pointing at David, he didn’t want his friend messing this up for him, he wanted to be a millionaire and soon; he was going to make it happen and Alexa was his meal ticket.

Joseph dialled the number after making sure that the number he was using couldn’t be traced, he smirked as he looked at Alexa.

“Olá, is that Cristiano?” Joseph said as he leant against the table watching Alexa, whose eyes filled with tears as he spoke with her fiancé.

“It’s a pleasure to finally speak to you… I must say that getting to Alexa was so easy,” Joseph teased making Alexa look at him as he gave a clue to Cristiano on who he was talking to.

Joseph smirked as Cristiano demanded to speak to Alexa; however he wanted to make his demands first before allowing him to do so, he wanted the footballer to realise who was in control here.

“Don’t worry I haven’t harmed a hair on her pretty little head,” Joseph said staring at Alexa, he was all too aware what he stood to lose if he harmed her before he got what he wanted.

Joseph had everything planned out and his getaway was all sorted, he would allow David to take the fall and he would walk away without a care in the world.

“Now listen here Ronaldo we want $50 million or you’ll never see her alive again,” Joseph said pushing himself away from the table, Cristiano wouldn’t deny him anything if it meant that Alexa was returned safely to his side.

Joseph removed the gag that was in Alexa’s mouth, making her lick her raw lips as she looked at him as he held the phone to her ear.

“Cris?” Alexa said softly wondering if this would be the last time that she ever talked to him; the phone line was silent for a moment as if someone had hung up and disconnected the call.

“Lexi… are you okay?” Cristiano asked breathlessly, he hadn’t thought that Joseph would let him speak with his girlfriend; Alexa blinked back tears as she heard his voice.

“I’m okay,” Alexa said as trying to ignore Joseph smirking at her, Alexa closed her eyes as she tried to keep herself from crying; there was no way that she could help him search for her since she had no idea where she was.

“It’ll be okay amor, I’ll fix this…” Cristiano said panicking running a stressed hand through his hair; he would give them the ransom if it meant that Alexa would be home safe.

“Cris… if something happens, this isn’t your fault… I love you,” Alexa said her voice shaking before Joseph took the phone from her and chuckled, Alexa couldn’t hold back tears any more as she allowed them to fall.

***

Cristiano’s eyes filled with tears as he heard Alexa tell him that she loved him, however before he got a chance to reply there was another voice.

“Ahh incentive to pay the ransom I think,” the man teased him making Cristiano frown, he wanted to tell Alexa that he loved her and that he would get her home safe.

Cristiano would do whatever they wanted as long as Alexa was okay, he didn’t know how broken she would be when he got her home safely.

“Put Alexa back on,” Cristiano demanded making the man chuckle amused at his demand; Cristiano knew that his family was watching him concerned, no one knew what would happen if he lost his temper.

“I don’t think so… don’t worry you’ll be hearing from me very soon Ronaldo,” the man said before he disconnected the call; Cristiano slammed his hand into the wall making his family jump.

Cristiano hissed in pain as his family stared at him in shock, he took deep breaths as tears filled his eyes, he leant against the wall ignoring his family; he couldn’t face them, not right now.

“Cristiano?” Dolores asked as approaching her youngest son carefully, she knew that he was hurting and there was nothing that she could do to help him.

“I’ll pay the ransom,” Cristiano said making his family look at him worried, they had been told to not hand any money over to the people that had taken Alexa, it could make things worse.

“I can’t sit here and do nothing… I’ll do anything to bring her home,” Cristiano said making his family stare at him, he was getting agitated but that wasn’t going to bring her back.

“Cris… the officers are working hard to bring her home,” Dolores said trying to comfort him, however it wouldn’t calm his mind not when he might never see Alexa again if this all went belly-up.