Chapter Eighteen

Archibald sits at a table far away from anyone in a tavern and drinks as he hears the loud music and eyes the drunken people around him. He pours himself another drink and the music turns up as he sits back and hears a voice.

"aye, young lord do you, do you wish another?"

the girl with simmering red hair and blue eyes stares down at the young lord unknown of his identity as she holds the drink and he stares up to her as he nods.

"yes, yes to the brim..."

she pours out the drink and stares down the young man as she comments.

"young lord if I may perhaps don't let the drink take you..."

Archibald stares off to the girl connecting his eyes with hers as he demands.

"you may not."

she places down the rest of the bottle as she bows her head and comments.

"it was just a recommendation."

Archibald grows angry with the young girl and drunkenly gets to his feet as he comments.

"what gives you, you lower caste any right to tell a lord what he can, or can't do?"

he grips her wrist, but the girl's mother comes up to her side as she comments.

"Esa..."

Archibald raises his head as the girl's mother comments.

"young lord forgive my girl she has a swift tongue perhaps a free drink will ease your anger."

Esa squirms in his grip as he stares her down with a sly grin and releases his hold commenting.

"no, no need, plenty of gold to go around. what kind of lord would I be if I accepted it for free?"

Archibald motions to the woman and back to Esa.

"how about a drink for us both."

The woman nods and walks off as Archibald takes out a gold coin showing it to the girl.

"perhaps I could indulge you with some fun.."

he holds up one gold piece taunting the girl as he licks his lips and whispers towards her.

"for a gold piece you should perhaps join me in my quarters?"

She pushes her hair behind her ear staring down the gold piece, and Archibald smiles as he speaks facts.

"this could feed your family for a few months girl."

he pushes her hair behind her ear, and she pulls back as she stares him down.

"you aren't my lord, and I would rather starve then prostitute myself to you."

Archibald comments as he plays with the gold piece, and whispers.

"this may be the free lands, but lords still have power here. you realize the consequences of denying a lord girl?"

Esa stands tall, and Archibald takes the drink off the mother's tray, and places down the gold piece as he smiles to her mother.

"for your daughter, she's a tough one, and we O'Sullivan's respect a tough girl..."

Archibald winks to Esa as he leans forward, but she leans back and comments.

"you smell like liquor..."

esa reaches, taking the gold piece, and comments.

"we don't want your gold or our coin. you've murdered enough cranes..."