Chapter Twelve

"she had fallen..." the man asks staring at the back of Archibald's head and Archbald remains quiet as the man asks again sounding unsure.

"Esa, she had fallen as you said my lord or did she jump?"

Archibald lies looking out the window as he keeps his back to the older man.

"It will go down as a fall and this will not be discussed further."

"a very convenient fall..." the man stops himself and Archibald glances back as the man lowers his voice.

"it may cause questions or investigations..."

"There won't be any. she gets buried today." 

"but it is customary. all royals are examined on the plateau by the medical staff and their records updated-"

"not her..." Archibald shifts his eyes and demands.

"I said prep her for burial..."

the older man stands there and Archibald walks up to him staring him down.

"if not you, I will find a replacement..."

the man bows his head.

"the laws of the Dorian monarch states this is how it should be-"

"We aren't in Dorain's monarchy anymore which means we prep her for burial, today..." the man bows his head deeply.

"as you say, my lord."

the man stops himself and glances up as he comments.

"This might not be the proper time but lady crane will have her ceremony later this week-"

"why would you think I wish to know that, my wife is dead!" Archibald steps forward and the man steps back staring down his angered king and a peasant steps in calming the situation motioning to Archibald.

"my lord the old fool doesn't realize how truly loved lady Esa was." the peasant motions  to the older man who slips away afraid of his king's wrath and the girl shuts the door over standing there as she speaks freely."

"was that good?"

"perfect..." Archibald replies and the girl helps him on with his jacket as he comments.

"be sure to send away her valuables to her mother..." he stops himself and the girl asks outright.

"does that include her head?"

the peasant turns her head and Archibald turns his.  the girl laughs seeing the face of her king.

"I will take that as a yes-"

Archibald motions to her.

"she was sleeping with someone. she made a fool of me."

"did you find out who?" the girl quiets herself down realizing what she asked and Archibald turns his head as he nods to her.

"It is alright curiosity is natural. he was a peasant-"

"Which one?" the girl says sounding concerned it could be a friend and Archibald turns his head. 

"curious girl speaking so freely with a royal..." she bows her head showing respect.

"my king I am sorry-"

"you're concerned-"

"aye, my king I have many friends many kind people are peasants in house O'Sullivan"

"Cullen, the Shaw boy-"

She lifts her eyes sounding upset "Cullen, is he dead?"

"not yet I plan to behead him later today as an example."