Chapter Thirty-Nine

Mila awakens in a bed and rolls over feeling confused a bit but blink feeling the blinds by her side pulled back. A servent nods to her and smiles.

"my lady you had quite a sleep" 

feeling confused she nods her head agrees.

"yes, I, what day is it?"

"firs moon dear, Lady Hannah wishes to see you as soon s possible."

"it will wait." her mother walks in motioning for the servent to leave and the servant does as her queen wishes.  the Queen mother stares down her daughter."

"We have accepted Lord Crane's offer of marriage to you dear. in two weeks when you recover from your illness some of his guards will come by to collect you."

"Lord Crane? but I, what about Lord Nair?"

The Queen mother comes to her side and brushes some of her daughter's hair from her face.

"my daughter you have been very very ill with disease for some weeks. my daughter things happened during your illness and sadly things with the Nair's did not work for you. however, Crane is more than willing to take you as his bride-"

A young man appearing to be 17 steps in dressed in all black and the queen mother stares him over questioning the young man.

"what is it, O'Sullivan?"

The younger man bows his head deeply as he speaks to the floor sounding nervous.

"Queen mother I was sent by the king-" His words are soft and Mila stares him down examining the man with his dark black hair and slouched demeanor not appearing as a noble boy. 

"I get it Mila dear the king and Hannah wishes to see you, I assume?"

the boy nervously nods his head staring to the floor and the queen mother examines his neck noticing burns on his neck and walks over bringing down his collar seeing his clan markings on his necked burned out and asks.

"who did this to you boy?"

he places his hand over the markings and stares down the queen mother.

"The Crane's my lady. I assumed you knew of their doings in the war they would burn the markings off of young kids of the O'Sullivan clan and-"

He stops himself looking to the floor remembering the Crane wars and shakes his head.

"I, I apologize queen mother but I do not feel well."

he pulls up his collar and the queen mother nods looking over the boy sadly as she motions to Mila.

"would you be so kind boy as to escort my daughter to her sister."

the boy bows his head showing the older woman respect.

"of course."

Mila gets out of bed stepping beside the boy and he walks also a bit behind her but she stops asking.

"are you alright? it's okay to walk beside me?"

the boy steps up beside her nodding.

"I apologize in the O'Sullivan clan we walk behind our masters. those of power lead the steps of those below as the clan says"

"so you're a peasant?"

"oh, oh no sorry. just I am nervous around clans who are not my own. my father was prince O'Sullivan, brother to the former King O'Sullivan. the one your father beheaded..."

"oh, so your Dalt O'Sullivan? if I remember the linage correctly you would be second to the throne behind Archibald now..."

"third." the boy nods to her kindly.

"did Archibald have a child?"

the boy smiles and shakes his head.

"no, but Edmond, he is quite alive my lady..."

the doors to the throne room open and they walk in silently and the boy next to her gets to his knees bowing his head to the cement and Edmond looks over his cousin as he motons up with his hand.

"up to your feet, Dalt do not kiss cement that is not ours."

Dalt gets to his feet fixing his robes and keeps his head bowed as Hannah walks over and hugs her younger sister. Edmond stares over his cousin turning his head as he motions to Hannah and then Mila. Dalt remains quite understanding what his lord is saying and Edmond speaks.

"Mila dear I am now lord of house Nolan. it brings me sadness to inform you that your father was murdered at a meeting of eight as were many kings in the monarch. much has changed since you had fallen ill."

Mila takes in her new king's words and she turns her head asking.

"do I have to marry lord crane?"

"I have left that matter to your mother. she is great with her political moves and I trust her decisions are for the best of this land and this castle."

Mila lets out a sigh and Edmond notices her disapproval as he motions to Dalt and informs Mila. 

"Dalt will be caring for your needs personally and ensuring your safety. he is one of the youngest O"Sullivans that fought in the crane wars. he has a very interesting history with Crane and for that reason, I think he is perfect to get you acquainted with their, their customs..."

Dalt nods his head understanding Edmond's order and Edmond informs him.

"This is a tough decision that I made Dalt but I wish for you to stay by her side throughout the marriage as well.."

"you... you want me to go to crane territory?" Dalt looks around nervously and Edmond assures him.

"the war is over. a new king sits on their throne you have nothing to fear."

Dalt bows his head deeply not replying and Edmond stares to his cousin concerned but shakes his head and speaks firmly.

"Crane will visit in a few days I recommend good impressions Mila. this marriage is political after all."

Mila bows her head deeply and Dalt walks out behind her following her steps as she asks him.

"What happened to you during the wars?"

"I was working with Archibald and we were captured. they burnt out my markings and made me a slave to them, made me sharpen the very blades they used to kill my uncles and cousins."

"I'm sorry Dalt."