Chapter Twenty-Nine

A loud pound occurs on a small farm door and the young girl answers staring up at the noble young man in front of her. He smiles kindly to the girl motioning back to the broken down cart.

"I do apologize, but are your parents home?"

The girl glances up to the young man smiling as she opens the door and eyes the cart. she stares over the odd young man with his glasses, tightened black tunic and a black belt with a gold symbol on it and she steps back asking.

"who, who are you?"

the young man fixes his glasses smiling kindly to the younger girl.

"oh so sorry the name is Alvis. I am a scholar from the city of Galvin. we, we sadly broke a few wheels and well it is getting dark you see-"

A woman's voice interrupts and the girl steps back eyeing her mother as her mother walks up to her side eyeing the young man in expensive clothing as she states.

"we don't want anything."

Alvis waves his hand disagreeing with the woman as he smiles kindly and places out his hand.

"Lord Alvis from Galvin perhaps you have heard of the city?"

The woman thinks to herself as she nods her head.

"yes, I've heard a few things about it in my youth. the city of wealth and scholars."

the man nods his head smiling to the woman as he explains.

"We were just on our way to the Nolan kingdom and sadly we broke down. I was wondering perhaps if you'd mind if we stayed in your barn for a few nights?"

the woman remains quiet and Alvis takes out some gold showing her as he comments.

"I would, of course, make it worth your while. I know times have been hard as I hear it Lord Crane has increased the farming tax on the crops this winter."

Alvis holds out the gold and opens his hands motioning to it smiling. the younger girl looks it over with a smile and Alvis notices it as he motions down.

"it's real I assure. my family is quite good for it."

the woman pulls her daughter back eyeing the boy over noticing his clan markings on his neck and studies it but can't make it out. she sighs out trying to determine what clan and asks outright.

"and what clan would that be?"

Alvis remains quiet and the woman leans forward as she demands.

"speak up now boy I won't have any stranger living in my home for days without knowing your roots."

"Cullen, clan Cullen of Galvin."

the woman looks over the young man and studies him examining him for any lies as he holds out the gold.

"all of it is yours my lady if we can just stay in the barn. we will not be of any trouble I assure you my peasants are well mannered."

Alvis holds out the gold and the woman takes the small pieces as she motions to the barn and comments.

"dinner at sundown if you wish some you will be welcomed in, but just you boy."

The young man nods his head as he comments staring down the older woman.

"aye, my lady very kind of you."

she slams the door in his face and he nods his head as he fixes his glasses and motions to his peasants.

"bring it in then, into the barn the air is getting cold."

Alvis walks towards the barn watching his peasants push the cart and he motions forwards.