11

I sat in a cell with Rukia giving her a checkup. She didn't speak. I heard of her execution and I was my job to make sure she survived till that day. So if she got sick or injured, I had to take care of it.

I finished giving her a clean bill of health. Despite her lack of spiritual pressure from being in a gigia and the world of the living so long. I walked out and looked at her. She already seemed resigned to her fate which was sad.

"please do not pity me," she said.

"pity is a strong word. I just find it sad you're not willing to fight for your life. Do you really think that little of yourself?" I said.

I watched her tense. 

"but perhaps it's better you resign yourself. Since there's something that can change it, " I said more to myself than anyone.

I walked out to see Hanataro. He would be dealing with her food and cleaning her cell. He looked at me but I didn't meet his gaze.

I walked out and onto a roof getting fresh air. I laid on taking a deep breath. Something seemed off. The death penalty seemed far too harsh for her crimes. But it wasn't my place to question it.

I jumped off the roof and slightly stumbled. I looked at my shaking hands and balled it up in a first. It was two days ago I did that surgery and I was still weak from it.

I sighed. How annoying. I returned to my squad and walked into the room of the man who had the surgery. Kazuki was the looking over the now awake man. Kazuki turned to me and bowed.

"hows he doing?" I asked.

"much better now," Kazuki said.

"who are you?" the man asked.

"HEY! Show some respect. Her name is Saki and you would be dead now if it. wasn't for her." Kazuki snapped.

I raised a brow. I've never seen him this assertive.

"what's gotten into you? You're not usually this vocal?" I asked.

"it just you collapsed after the surgery. If it wasn't for your skill and determination he would be dead. You deserve more respect from him." Kazuki said getting more quite.

I placed my hand on his head ruffling his hair.

"calm down. He didn't know who I was, " I said.

Kazuki blushed and bowed. I looked at the man who watched our exchange.

"Saki nice to meet you. How you feeling. You were in bad shape when you got here. It was a pain healing you." I said.

He bowed his head to me.

"I thank you for saving me. I greatly appreciated it. I heard from the nurses how hard you worked just to save me, someone, you don't even know. Thank you." he said.

I sighed running my fingers through my hair.

"stop. It's my job. I joined squad four go help people." I said.

He continued to bow and I rolled my eyes. I heard the door open and I saw our captain. I lowered my head to her.

"Saki. Should you be up. I heard you exhausted yourself." she said.

"I'm, fine captain. Can't stay out for too long. I would go crazy." I said.

She nodded and I was dismissed. I just went home knowing I needed more rest.