22

I sat on the porch of the garden at my home. I closed my eyes enjoying the gentle breeze. I was condemned to bed rest by my captain. So here I was enjoying the view of my garden.

In my mind, the scene of their betrayal replayed itself in my mind. If I was just stronger I could have stopped them. I could have protected the others.

The air changed and my eyes opened to see a familiar person standing in my garden. I sighed as I watched them.

"should you really be walking around Ukitake?" I asked.

He walked toward sitting next to me.

"should you really be out of bed?" he asked.

I rolled my eyes and laid down on the porch. I watched the clouds go by as my thought went back to what I could have done.

"you did everything you could have. Without you, there would have been casualties. Despite how depleted your reishi was you still fought until you could no more. It's admirable, " he said.

I looked away from him as my chest tightened. I fiddled with the necklace around my neck. Why do I feel like opening up to him?

"Saki are you okay, " he asked.

"I should get some rest, " I said standing up.

But as I stood up pain shot through me. I groaned and fell to my knees. Jushiro came to my side helping me into my bed. I turned away from him as I felt my face heat up.

"I'm the one that looks after you, this is absurd, " I mumbled.

He laughed and I turned to look at him. He ran his fingers through my hair.

"I'm returning the favour. You always look after me. I'm happy to help you, " he said.

"so if I didn't take care of you, you wouldn't care?" I asked.

He freaked out and I laughed but stopped as pain shot through my body. I covered myself with the blanket turned away from him. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

~~~~

Jushiro looked down at the sleeping girl and sighed. He cared deeply for this girl. But it was more than just the way he felt for a friend. He loved her.

He looked at her worried as she slept.

He didn't know what to do

He didn't know what to do. He put his hand on her cheek and leaned down so their foreheads touched.

She was so kind, caring, selfless and just a genuinely a nice person. He kissed her forehead before standing up and turning to look at her.

"i will protect you Saki, with everything I have. For you are important to me. One if the most important people I know. So please lean on me every once in a while. Because I worry about you, " he said.

He walked out of her home heading back to her barracks.

~~~~

When I woke up I looked around to see jushiro gone. I sighed looking at the ceiling. I missed his presence. I felt safe around him. I felt at... Home. I didn't like to admit it, but I felt like I belonged when he was around.