Chapter 11

After that, we didn't talk much about ourselves anymore, but rather about the school and other people. Something gave me the feeling that I was safe with him.

Nobody realized that I had left the house and I felt it was for the best. Addy hadn't come home all day, but had done something with her friends. At least that's what she texted to me.

At the weekend, Philip and I texted only a few sentences, my father didn't mention the subject of therapy and Addy disappeared all the time outside. I spent my time in my room or the roof.

On sunday evening Addy and I got together on the roof. There was no special reason, it was like a secret meeting place. We didn't know if our father suspected that we were sitting on the roof and staring at the sky.

"The boy who was her." she started. "Do you like him?"

"Kinda." I nodded and turned my eyes away from the sky. Addy kept looking at it. This time we were smart enough to take a blanket outside. We spread it over our legs.

It seemed to me that something warm would fit into the picture. No cigarette smoke, no alcohol, but something normal. Something like tea. At that moment, I was wondering about myself. My head was always looking for some kind of drug and now I just wanted to sit outside and what? Drink tea?

Addy nodded.

"Why do you ask?"

"Just 'cause." she answered and looked at me. "I want you to have friends."

"Maybe we'll become friends."

"Maybe you are friends?"

I didn't know an answer to that.

It was Monday and I decided to go back to school.

Everything went normal. No one asked stupid questions, except if I feel better. I told everyone that I had some illness and was feeling much better. Thanks for asking. Philip hadn't said a word about what was really going on. He even joined in and said that he had come over and I looked awful.

I didn't go home that day. We just sat on the school ground or kicked the ball back and forth. It was like a stupid high school movie where you had fun as a student. Maybe I was just in the wrong movie. It was too good, way too good.

It looked like I had friends and would do something with them everyday. In fact, I laughed at funny sayings or mishaps, not like a few months ago. Sometimes Philip and I looked at each other and he would smile for a moment until he turned back to the others.

Maybe he gave me a bit of hope. Hope for a better life.

It was warm, but not hot. However, the heat was just in the air, because there wasn't a bit of wind. The sky was cloudless. Just as my brain was carefree.

We eventually found ourselves together in the meadow. Together we just sat and talked. I don't remember what it was about, which may mean it was very unimportant, but at that moment I was okay. We laughed together and talked about some insignificant nonsense. But it was important, because it helped me. Only for a short time, but at least something.

Maybe I don't need any therapy or medicine. Just a few morons who would constantly talk to me about nonsense.

I was okay.

Until the call came.

We were just laughing until my phone rang. Since it was my dad, of course I picked it up. The only thing that was in my mind was that he wanted to know if I was okay and when I would come home. When he said that he would say something to me and that I should not go crazy, I got up and walked a few feet away.