Chapter 24

Phil's POV

Dan was sad today.

Actually, Dan was always sad. It wasn't a big surprise when I noticed it.

Sure, there were the moments when he was happy, laughed. Truely laughed. Moments in which his eyes shone and I thought that maybe he wasn't so sad.

But sometimes he just sat there and probably thought that no one would see him just staring into the void and just look lost. I knew that he was like that. Aren't we all sad sometimes?

But Dan was always sad. From the first day until now. It wasn't long before I realized that he wasn't just sad. Even before I saw his arms. I knew that he was more than just sad. That he wasn't just afraid of the new school and surroundings.

No, something in his life went wrong and the more I became part of his life, the more my assumption was confirmed.

His sister Addy was sad too.

Addy was a really wonderful, sweet girl. She was even funny and it was a lot of fun to spend time with both of them. But I saw how she sometimes looked at Dan.

I had my assumption, but I didn't know how to get the answer.

We sat together on the couch and played Mario Kart. Almost always when I was with them because they had no other game. I would definitely give them one at some point.

Dan was sitting next to me while he tried to beat me and failed miserably. As always, he was wearing his long pants and pullover. The sleeves ended just in front of his knuckles. In fact, I wished he would just feel comfortable enough next to me so he wouldn't have to hide it. At the same time, I was afraid he was hiding new ones, but I didn't know how to approach him.

Addy sat at the other end of the couch and watched us.

As expected, I won and Dan playfully hit my shoulder.

"You're cheating!"

"How do you cheat on Mario Kart?"

"You tell me!"

I couldn't stop laughing.

"Come on, Dan, I'll avenge you." Addy jumped in now and took his controller from his hand.

"Right, you take care of it. I'll take a quick shower, is that okay?" he asked me afterwards and I just nodded.

As soon as I was aware of Dan was already on the way up when Addy dropped next to me. I still looked after Dan, even though he was long upstairs and I could hear a door closing.

"Don't worry, he needs that sometimes." I heard Addy say while selecting a route. I raised my eyebrows and looked at her.

"Sometimes he has days or moments when he wants to be on his own for a second, you'll notice and you should just accept it."

For a moment I thought about why he needed that right now, but then I remembered that I have been like that too. And there never was a particular reason. 

"Yeah, sure, I understand that." I said, while I turned back to the screen.

"You should as his boyfriend." my head snapped back to Addy. "He told me yesterday. Honestly, I squeezed it out, you're not good at hiding."

"Crap." I laughed and watched the loading screen. She had chosen a relatively easy route.

We drove the first round completely focused and in silence. Actually, I was more focused on not being better than Addy, but I noticed that she was getting better. Maybe she would eventually become a real challenge.

"Will he ever tell me what's going on?" I asked hesitantly at some point.

Was it smart to ask, if it is probably something much worse than expected? Everyone in this house seemed sad. There was something bad and maybe I was even scared to hear it. What should I do then? How should I help him? What should I say? I didn't know about that.

"I think so." she said while I drove my Yoshi into the water.

"What can I do so he'll tell me?"

"Give him time, don't force him to tell you, don't give him the feeling he has to tell you, you know?" I nodded, because of course I understood that.

Addy won, we finished the round and decided to take a break until Dan showed up again. She asked me if I wanted to eat, but I said no. I leaned back a little more and Addy sat cross-legged.

"I trust you with him." Addy said after a while. She seemed so grown up.

"You can, I promise." She smiled gently at me and then we heard someone walking down the stairs.

He slipped into the living room and dropped onto the couch next to me.

"I look like a poodle." Dan pouted, realizing that I couldn't keep my eyes off him.

"Yeah, my poodle." I said and ran my fingers through his still wet hair.

"Oh, so she told you she knows." My answer was just a laugh, while I still played with individual strands.

"You are disgusting." Addy said from the background, whereupon Dan and I both laughed, but I stopped playing with his hair. Dan rested his head on my shoulder and my gaze moved to Addy, who smiled gently at me.

"Revenge?" she asked, holding up the controller, whereupon I sighed and nodded.

As we drove the same route again, I felt Dan grinning because he knew very well that I let his little sister win. The bad thing was that he could make sure that I wasn't even trying, by spreading small kisses on my neck and my jaw. Little caresses no one knew about. Something between us two.

Addy also won this round.

***
make sure to vote and comment!
i thought it would be cool to write a part from Phil's point of view, so you can see how Dan appears to other people. I hope you liked it. :)