Chapter 16

D: Hey, is it okay if I bring you your bike tomorrow morning?

P: Sure, no problem. How are you?

D: I'm tired, but okay.

P: Okay, we'll talk tomorrow?

D: Yes. Good night, Phil.

P: Night, Dan.

The next morning I stand in front of his door and texted him that I was waiting for him.

After I sent it off, I heard him run down the stairs. He opened the door and smiled at me, but his frowned when he saw my backpack.

"You're going to school?" he asked confused.

"Yes, what else am I supposed to do?" I laughed.

"I just didn't think you were going to school today, but it doesn't matter. I'm glad."

"I thought if I am here already, maybe we're going together?"

"Sure, yeah." he nodded and put on his smile again.

We walked together. It was pleasant, not hot, but not cold either. The sky was covered with a few clouds.

We were silent for a while and I didn't know if that was maybe too much. Did Phil even want to spend so much time with me? But why else would he have allowed me to sleep at his house? Why would he suggest to go Camping together? Why would he allow me to use his bike?

Would you do so much out of pity?

"Thank you, again." I broke the silence. Phil knew what I meant because he smiled gently at me.

"No problem." He patted my shoulder. "Is everything alright? With her?"

"She's okay, I guess. She can go home tonight, they just wanted to keep her there overnight, as it always is."

"Hospitals." Phil shrugged.

"Exactly."

We walked slowly, as if we wanted to prolong this walk. Actually  I ran relatively fast, but right now it just seemed to me as if I wouldn't move from the spot.

Did Phil adjust to me? Or I to him? Or did that happen automatically?

"You didn't miss anything at school." he started. "The guys think you just skipped school, they won't talk to you about it. If there are any teachers who really dare to say something stupid, just ignore them, they have no idea."

I frowned. I knew how everything works. But then it occurred to me that maybe Phil just wants to prepare me. Maybe even protect me.

That's why I started to nod.

"Thanks."

And in fact, the guys didn't bother me because of it. As if they were just glad that I was back. There was no teacher who dared to say something dumb. I didn't know if they knew about my condition or not. But I was thankful that they just left me alone.

So, in the end, it was a really good school day, where everything felt normal. Except that everyone was in summer clothes while I hid in my black jeans and my black sweater.

During the break, we sat together on the lawn of the school grounds. I had to pull myself together to not stare at Phil constantly.

He lay on his back, propping himself up with his elbows. His black hair looked even darker in the sun, if that was possible. He wore shorts and a green shirt and I thought it looked a bit too good on him.

Phil Lester was a beautiful boy.

I wasn't sure if he knew that. Maybe someday I'll tell him, just to make sure he knows.

We didn't walk back home together.

Phil did something with the boys. He had asked me, but I had refused because I just wanted to be at home.

So I sat in the living room on the couch and ate cereal while I waited for my father to come home with Addy.

Maybe we could just overplay it and pretend it didn't happen. Maybe we could pretend that my dad has always hidden his pills. As if he wouldn't worry about us all the time. As if we were okay.

We weren't okay.

As I was working on this chain of thought, I heard the door open. My head immediately turned in the direction of the door. It was good that our couch was right at the hallway.

Addy smiled softly at me and immediately walked up to me to drop down right next to me on the couch.

"God, I missed you." she murmured as she rested her head on my shoulder.

"Missed you too."

My gaze went back into the hallway. My dad was still standing at the front door and looked at me, whereupon he smiled and joined us.

Was it the first time that I just sat in the living room?

"Were they nice to you at least?" I asked after a while.

"Yeah, but the food there is shit." 

"Should we order something?" my father asked.

"I don't care, the main thing is that I get something normal to eat."

My dad's eyes wandered to me and I just nodded.

"Pizza would be really great." I said after a while and my dad picked up his cell phone and left the living room.

I put my arm around Addy, whose head was still resting on my shoulder. I was happy that she was here. That everything turned out okay. Maybe we could ignore it.

"The people were weird." Addy admited. "Towards me."

"I know, they always are."

"To people like us?" She looked up, but I ignored her gaze skillfully. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Yeah, to people like us."