Chapter 15

Our brains are sick
but that's okay.

***

Phil and I went to sleep after some time.

He had persuaded me to put on one of his shirts to sleep. Of course I had refused the offer until Philip said that I should just take it. That he knew what my problem was. He wouldn't look.

He didn't.

I slept on the couch, he on the bed. I couldn't sleep for a long time, so I just listened to his regular breathing. At some point I actually fell asleep too.

When I woke up, it was already light. Philip was no longer in his bed and I sat up confused. I rubbed my eyes and ran through my hair.

I grabbed my phone and immediately saw a message from my dad.

Addy is awake.

Immediately I started to put on my clothes. It was 9:43 am. I didn't even try to make sure that I looked halfway normal.

Slowly I left Phil's room and made my way downstairs. I ran past the kitchen and was stopped by his grandma.

"Sorry, I haven't seen you there." I said, smiling softly.

"Phil said he didn't want to wake you up. Do you want to eat something?" Why didn't she ask why I wasn't at school? Phil must probably have somehow explained it to her.

"No, no, thanks. It's fine." I shook my head, whereupon she smiled at me softly.

"I really have to go now. Thank you, again, Mrs. Lester."

She smiled gently at me before I left.

I didn't really think about asking Philip yesterday, but since his bike was still at the entrance, I just drove off. I would bring it later. 

On the way to the hospital, I wondered how it would all work out. Was Addy okay? Would she talk? Could I ask her? Would she answer? Can she come home already? 

I just wanted to protect her from all the other people. From all the doctors and nurses, that thought they knew better. I knew how hospitals work. I didn't want her to be there. I wanted her to be with me. Where I could be sure that nobody hurts her.

I wanted to tell her that it's okay. I don't even know what was going on, but I knew that it was okay.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't really get it when I arrived at the hospital.

I parked the bike and almost ran into the building. I went into the elevator, pushed the button and drove up. My dad had sent me the number for her room and I almost ran to find it. Despite the fact that all the hospitals were a labyrint, I found her room pretty fast.

I should have taken the time to take another breath, but instead I just opened the door quietly and there she was.

Cross-legged on the bed. She looked in my direction and smiled at me gently. I ran towards her and immediately took her in my arms. While my head still rested on her shoulder, I opened my eyes and looked at my dad, who gave me a short nod.

Somehow I wanted to show him that I would like to be alone with her. He had understood it or already knew it anyway, which is why he announced that he would get a coffee.

When he disappeared from the room, Addy moved slightly back so I could sit down with her.

"How are you?" I asked.

"Good. I feel a little weird, but good."

"Now the truth, please." She frowned. She didn't want to talk.