||37||

It's been a few days since I had returned to the village and we'd gotten word of something terrible happening.

Yes.

One of the two deaths that ripped my heart to shreds.

Asuma Sarutobi was dead.

I was now sat in Gaara's office with the sand siblings. It was silent. The only sound in the room was our breathing and the occasional movement of me turning the page of my book.

I took a peak at the three sand ninja. Temari looked depressed as hell, Kankuro looked slightly angry and Gaara was exhausted. Insomnia had caught up with him again. I sighed.

(you know the drill, if you feel like a little tune to join with what's happening next, play the music now :))

Humming the song Neverland as I read I caught the attention of the ninja. I pretended not to notice as I gradually smiled as I remembered listening to this with my father back at home. He really could be a dork sometimes. I gradually got into the lyrics.

"we can sail away tonight, on a sea of pure moonlight," I started, "we can navigate the stars, bring us back home."

I read a line of my book 'goodbyes are the most possible impossible. Because you never want to say them, but you'd be stupid not to when given the shot.' Sweet.

"In a place so far away," I continued to sing, "we'll be young that's how we'll stay, every wish is our command, we will find ourselves in never... Neverland."

I started humming again. Before coming near to the end and singing the last verse.

"Every wish is our command, I am closer now to finding.... neverland," I then fell silent again but this time I looked up to see them all looking at me with sadness drowned face.

"You... sing well," Temari tells me as a rogue tear slips down her cheek. My eyes widen in shock and I quickly leap from where I was laying on the sofa, throwing my book down and going over to her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry. Stop crying, you'll make me cry," I told her, she hugged me and kept crying.

Why was she crying so much? She wasn't close with Asuma? I guess it's just stuff you don't see in the series? Though I didn't know that was a thing...

I patted her back and rubbed circles.

I don't know what to do! This isn't my thing.

I looked at Kankuro.

"Help?" I mouthed at him, he smiled and sighed, walking over and prying his sister off me before taking her out the office, saying something to her. I mentally collapsed, shaking my head.

Silent.

Again.

Then I felt someone leaning on my back and arms going around my stomach as I was hugged from behind.

If Gaara needs consoling then I'm stumped. I don't know what I'm supposed to do...

"Gaara?" I asked, I couldn't seem to make my voice go any higher than a whisper.

"Just let me stay like this for a little bit," he whispered back, I sighed and gave in.

We stood in the middle of the room like this for a while. I was getting flashbacks to when myself and Temari had just returned to the village.

"y/n," Gaara says, I hum in response, "I-- can you tell me another one of your stories tonight?"

The heck?

I exhaled a slight chuckle.

"Sure thing Gaara, as long as you sleep," I tell him, he lets go of me and I'm not going to lie, I was slightly disappointed to be released but I'm too stubborn to do anything.

°🥀°

That evening I was sat in my room, about to go to sleep when I feel the other half of my bed dip down, I growl annoyed and grab a kunai. Swiftly turning over I knock myself on top of my intruder and raise the kunai up with the intention to kill them when I'm held back by something light and grainy.

"It's just me!" Gaara.

I looked at my arm to see sand and sigh as he lets me go and I place the kunai down.

"Sorry," I sighed before climbing off him and looking away. Now I look like a damn idiot and I technically just did an assassination attempt on Gaara's life? Oh lock me away now and throw away the key, I shouldn't be let off for this.

"Why're you here?" I asked him, turning on my side and peering at him as he copied me and looked back.

"You said you'd tell me another story," he replied, I blinked a few times before remembering.

"So I did," I chuckled awkwardly, "what do you want to hear?"

"How about the Alice in Wonderland one?" he asked, I nodded and sat up, fluffing the cushion behind my back and getting ready to talk for a long time.

Gaara's PoV

She was sat telling me the story of the girl who fell down the rabbit hole and into a place completely mad. After a while, her words started to become rushed and slightly slurred. I looked up to see her fighting her need to sleep.

Moments later her voice ceases and in replace, her light snores hit my ears. I smiled and pulled her down into the bed properly and went to get up. She grabbed my wrist.

"Don't... leave me..." she mumbled, "not...again.."

Then she started to struggle against something. A nightmare?

I sat down next to her and lay down again. Pulling her into a hug she instantly relaxes.

"Aren't I supposed to be the one sleeping?" I chuckled lightly, careful not to wake her as I also wrap myself in her covers and close my eyes.

There's something about this girl, she's so comforting, her presence eases me. I'm at peace around her.

To think I was so suspicious of her.

But still.

Who is she really?