Fourth

Brad sat on in his living room on his couch, thinking. He was thinking about breakfast yesterday and whether or not he should ask Shay to do it again sometime. Even though it went horribly, he felt as if they hung out under better circumstances, a friendship or more could blossom.

Brad was waiting for Kelly to show up. He had called her mum and asked if she could come around to pick up her bag. He didn't know whether or not he was still with Kelly as they hadn't spoken since the bathroom incident. He didn't exactly end it the other night in the bathroom but he didn't exactly declare his love and compassion for her either.

The suspense was exhausting. He wanted to get the bag exchange over and done with, he also wanted to get the breaking up over with. He checked his phone a few times in hopes that a random number would pop up, the random number belonging to Shay.

Even though things seemed to go down the shitter yesterday, he knew she was different. She hadn't thrown herself all over him, she hadn't really tried nor put on a fake facade to impress. She just went along with him, not particularly phased by anything. He found the fact that she no longer lived at home interesting. She had more responsibility and individualism than all of his friends put together. Kelly couldn't last a week on her own, nor could any of his friends.

The sound of a door opening caught Brads attention and his head snapped in the direction the front door was located. In walked in the blonde, made-up, seventeen year old that was his soon to be ex girlfriend. She never knocked when she came over, actually, now that Brad thought about it, she never really came over in the first place.

Brad stood up and grabbed Kelly's black purse from the table, walking towards her. Her face lit up and a faint squealing sound was made when she saw the bag. She immediately grabbed it from his hands and squeezed it tight. She gave Brad a few air kisses on both cheeks as a greeting.

"You found her!" She smiled and hugged the purse closer to her body. Brad smiled a tiny smile at her before talking.

"You wanna talk about last night?' He asked and she nodded, looking somewhat distraught.

"You ran out before-"

"You're forgiven-"

Both Brad and Kelly said at the same time. Kelly felt embarrassed but Brad, being eager to finish continued.

"You ran out before I could, end this." He cleared his throat.

"End things?" Kelly asked confused. "I'm forgiving you."

"Forgiving me for what?" Now Brad was the one confused.

"For wanting to end this, us."

"But I'm going to." Brad said again, her face dropping. She clenched her teeth tightly when she realized that there was no running away this time.

"You've just been so angry with me and kind of clingy lately-" He began.

"Clingy?" Kelly interrupted. She sounded pissed, which scared Brad a little. He was planing on letting her down easy as they had been friends for a while.

"You get angry whenever a girl walks past, plus you kind of hate everything that I love."

"But we've been together for a while and this has never occurred before?" Kelly thought that if it had happened in the past and he got over it, that he could do it again surely.

Brad thought it time to bust out the breakup cliches.

"We've seem to um, outgrown each other." Kelly still looked confused. He had always had a distaste for her lack of intelligence. "Our relationship was just a spur of the moment decision. We thought it necessary to try since we both felt as if we owed it to each other for being friends for so long." He explained. He felt that if he used really big words that Kelly would take it as a logical excuse and reasonable explanation.

"I suppose." She said, completely lost for words. She too was feeling a bit distant from him lately, and surprised Brad by not fighting back like she did in the bathroom. Maybe she needed alcohol to boost her confidence.

"Friends?" Brad asked with his hand out for her to shake.

"Alright." She sighed and shook it. It had been easier than what Brad had thought.

She sighed and walked out of the house with her purse clung to her side. That was it. That's all that needed to be done. Brad was free.

As Kelly left her ex boyfriends house and got into her car, she opened her bag to see if everything was in order. Everything seemed to be there, it all seemed pretty satisfactory. But as she drove, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was missing some money.

--

"What do you mean it was awkward?" Alex whispered across Shay's room at her. Alex had just gotten home and had let a girl crash on the couch.

"We barely talked." Shay shrugged, she wasn't too fussed about a boy that she most likely would never see again.

"I don't take that." Alex yelled. "Grow some balls and ask him on a date, it's obvious you fancy him." She walked closer, quietly jumping onto Shay's bed, sitting so that she was facing her.

"I don't even know him!" Shay defended, but Alex just rolled her eyes.

"I don't even know the girl currently passed out on our couch, and I still made out with her."

"Alex." Shay crinkled her nose playfully.

"I'm just saying." She said as she stood from the bed. "You could just kiss him. That doesn't require much talking." She laughed and Shay tossed one of her pillows at her.

"Not the point." Shay said. "Besides, he has a girlfriend."

"Sure." Alex rolled her eyes and bent down to kiss Shay goodnight on the cheek.

"He does!"

"Looks like he has himself in a sticky situation then." She said as she walked further away.
Shay rolled her eyes and laid on her back.

"Don't make too much noise!" She said to Alex, just as she left her room.

"You know me." She winked and closed the door behind her.

Shay did want to see Brad again, she just didn't know how. If only she had accidentally taken his wallet or phone from the diner as an excuse.