Fourtieth

There was a sort of awkward silence during the car ride back to Shay's place. Brad had picked her up from school and caught on to how tense she seemed, so he let her be for a while. He didn't know if she was angry with him, or if it was just her time of the month. Of course he didn't want to suggest anything and start a big argument, so he kept quiet.

Shay on the other hand was conflicted as to if she should tell Brad that she had just encountered James and the words that were spoken during the encounter. She was more angry at James than anything, as he just kept on pushing and pushing. He always said the same shit to her and it always resulted in the same outcome. The only difference now, is that her feelings were magnified and his statements were beginning to turn from false to somewhat true. She wanted Brad more, that Shay was sure. She just didn't want to hurt James over and over even though she was positive he was bipolar or something. One moment he's her friend and one little fight later he's blurting out how much he loves her. The back and forth from being friends to more then to enemies and back to friends was exhausting. Shay continued to find herself in the position of needing to choose, and even though she technically already has, she still felt a sense of doubt.

Brad stayed silent once they reached Shays house and entered. He kept it up until they got inside but broke when Shay purposely slammed the door shut.

"You alright?" He asked her, chewing the inside of his cheek afterwards. He was contemplating whether or not he had done something wrong and scanned over their last few encounters to make sure that he hadn't recently fucked up.

Shay just nodded her head after meeting his eye and continued to the bedroom. She saw no point in telling Brad about her and James talking, so decided to change the subject.

"Hey, what are your plans for the weekend?" She asked once reaching her room. Shay discarded her bag to the floor and began stripping down in order to change. Brad sat himself at the end of her bed and took his jacket off.

"I'm not sure yet. Might stay with you, or I might go talk to my parents or something." He said whilst discarding the fabric onto Shays desk. His eyes darted to where Shay stood and his eyes greedily raked up and down her near naked body. She had stripped off her pants and was currently in the process of removing her top.

"Well I wanted to see if you could come to London with me for the weekend?" Shay spoke as she removed her shirt, taking no notice to Brad who was watching a few meters away.

"London?"

"Yeah." She hummed as she searched for a clean shirt in her draws. She turned around fully to dig through them, her back facing Brad. He sucked in a harsh breath as Shay nonchalantly continued. "There are open day things at the universities I was looking at. Plus I wanted to see my parents, have a nice weekend away."

By 'away' Shay most certainly meant away from James and away from any threat of drama. She was successful in finding an oversized T-shirt that was intended for bed and threw it over her body. Even though it was still the afternoon, Shay always liked to be dressed for comfort.

"Yeah, sounds good." Brad spoke as Shay turned and made her way over to him. She sat down beside him on the bed with her legs crossed. "You sure you're okay?" Brad asked again, the slight glimmer of relief mixed with something else still made him feel uneasy about her mood. He didn't want to piss her off but he didn't want to let anything important slip either.

Instead of speaking, Shay just nodded and kissed him gently on the mouth. She pulled back before Brad kissed her again, smiling as he did so.

"Movies and pizza?" Shay asked, causing Brad to miss her mouth and kiss her chin instead.