Chapter Two

Song Two - We Need a Resolution by Aaliyah

* * * * * * * * * *

Alyson walked around the guest-filled mansion with a champagne glass in her hand. As she was searching for Kelly, she smiled, waved and hugged those she knew and those who just wanted to know her because of who Evan was. 

Just as she entered the living room, she felt someone grab her arm lightly. She turned around to see it was Rick, Kelly's husband. He was so tall, she had to look up at him.

Rick was very well built partly because he was a cop and partly because he lifted weights. He had dark brown, medium length hair, that matched his brown eyes and tan skin from exercising in the sun daily.

"Hey!" She greeted him, "I was just looking for Kelly, where is she?"

She gave the tall man a hug, his chin automatically resting on her forehead. "Kelly is actually running around trying to find you," he informed her.

She placed her hand on her hip with a sigh, putting her glass to her lips. 

"Great," she muttered.

Choosing to wait for her to show up, Alyson starts up a conversation. 

"How you been Rick? We don't see each other as often as we use too. Getting promoted to Detective seems to be taking up a lot of your time."

Rick nodded, sliding his hands into his pocket, "oh yeah. We're currently on a case about a guy who was found dead in his car. First thought was suicide but when the family described him, it seemed impossible. Then we dug a little more and it definitely doesn't seem like a suicide"

"Wow," Alyson shook her head. "That's gotta be tough. For the family, I mean."

"Yeah, he had a wife and three kids. They're counting on me. It's not any easier when Kelly's complaining about how much I'm working."

Kelly came from an entrepreneur family. Her father owned a lot of estates around the country, so dating Rick who's childhood dream was to be a Detective wasn't easy. Rick was Hispanic and had grown up in a rural part of time where crime was considered a norm. 

He lost his older brother due to crime when he was ten, from then, he wanted to join the police force and help make his neighborhood a better place. In fact, his family still lives in his childhood neighborhood.

Kelly wanted Rick to get into the investment business with her dad but Rick wanted to pursue his passion, and he did. Sometimes his job put their marriage on the rocks but they always get back on track.

"I feel really bad," Rick went on. "I know I haven't been spending as much time as I should with her. I haven't even been hanging out with Evan. This case has just been a lot for me, you know?"

Hearing that familiar adorable laugh from far away, Alyson looked to see Evan laughing with some of the guests.

"Yeah, but at least you recognize you've been slacking and you're willing to do better."

Feeling sadness come over her, Alyson looked away downing the rest of her champagne. 

It didn't take much for Rick to notice. It was the same sadness that he had seen in Kelly's eyes every time they went through a rough patch in their marriage.

"Aly," he cleared his throat.

She looked up at him, "Yeah?"

"I'm gonna talk to Evan for you."

Alyson's face dropped. She rolled her eyes and looked away. "Of course she told you after I told her not to."

"She's worried about you."

"I'm fine. I don't need you to talk to Evan. I've got this under control," she lied through her teeth.

As a waiter walked past with a champagne tray, she switched her empty one for a new one, "I'm gonna go look for Kelly."

"Aly," Rick grabbed her arm and pulled her back. He turned her around so she was facing him.

"That look in your eyes, Kelly had that once too. Believe it or not, she's just like you. She knows how to play happy. I wasn't giving her the attention that I should have and I distanced myself. I almost lost her but I got it together and our relationship is stronger than ever."

Alyson pulled her arm out of his grip with a thoughtful look on her face.