Chapter Five

Song Five: Hurt by Christina Aguilera

* * * * * * * * * *

Alyson placed a plate of bacon on the island, adding to her breakfast food spread which consisted of waffles, a huge fruit bowl, and orange juice. She let out an annoyed sigh as she turned off the stove and placed the pan into the sink before turning on the water.

"I'm just saying, you could have just told me that you had problems with your father, instead of just telling me he was dead." She said to Evan who was dressed up in his suit for work, as he poured himself some coffee.

The couple was still on edge from their argument last night and because Alyson was under the assumption Joseph was dead has added fuel to the fire.

"What? Tell you I despised my father just for you to ask questions when I, in fact, hate talking about him?" He shot back returning the coffee pot to its rightful place.

Alyson turned around, after turning off the sink. "Seriously E, how hard is it to just say I have a bad relationship with my father and I don't like to talk about him?"

"Fine," he sets his mug down on the counter. "I have a bad relationship with my father and I don't want to talk about it. Can we drop it now?"

Alyson scoffed as Evan retrieved his mug and took a sip of the strong, dark liquid.

In just a minute, his mind was on other things and he didn't even notice the sad look his wife was giving him. 

"What happened to us, Evan?" She pulled him out of his thoughts. "We use to talk about everything, we use to be so close and now I'm lucky if I even see you before I wake up in the morning."

Tired of her nagging, Evan sighed looking away.

"I don't want to argue," Alyson said sincerely. "I want to do anything but that." 

She looked down, taking his hand into hers, "just be honest with me." She looked up and into his eyes. "Is there someone else?"

Even when she was asking such a daunting question, she looked at Evan with so much love in her eyes.

Evan stared down at her, an emotionless look on his face. It was like he was hiding how he felt and what he was thinking. He opened his mouth to reply, but quickly removed his hand from Alyson's when he noticed his father entering the kitchen.

He walked away from Alyson, over to the counter. 

"Good morning, Joseph." He greeted his father, leaving Alyson standing alone silently.

Joseph, who had heard their conversation, had his eyes on Alyson's sad facial expression. "Everything okay?" He asked, ignoring Evan's greeting.

Alyson nodded, putting a fake smile on her face. "Yeah, everything's great. I made breakfast, come and have a seat."

"Don't mind if I do," he sat at a stool at the island, eyeing the couple skeptically. 

Evan just stood there, drinking his coffee while looking at his phone. It was quite obvious he didn't care about how his wife felt. This caused Joseph to honestly kind of be upset.

Joseph might not be the settle down type but he's always had a certain level of respect for women and there was nothing he hated more than to see a man treat his woman wrong when she kisses the ground that he walks on.

Alyson handed Joseph a plate, "help yourself to everything. I can cook something else if you don't want anything here. I don't usually cook in the morning because Evan can never stay for breakfast but since you're here, I thought I should."

Joseph eyed the food hungrily, not even hesitating to dig in with his uninjured arm. 

"Are you kidding? Everything on here looks good, you don't have to make me a thing. It's been a long time since I had a home cooked meal, you know traveling everywhere."

"You traveled?" Alyson asked in intrigue. "Where?"

"Everywhere," Evan looked up his from his phone. "Leaving his son without a father."

Joseph just shook his head; it was way too early to argue with a stubborn Evan. 

Alyson stood there confused, not knowing a thing about this man.

"So, how long are you staying?" She changed the subject.

"He isn't," Evan answered before downing the rest of his coffee. He put the mug into the sing, looking at his wristwatch. "Joseph is parting with us."

Alyson slightly pouted at that; she interested in getting to know her father in law. "Why so soon?"

"He's a busy man, he has traveling to do, right Joseph?" Evan glared at him.

Joseph took a bite out of one of his bacon strips, looking into the obscene eyes of his son. "Actually, uh, I need a favor. My bike is back at that bar I was at. I need a ride."

"Alyson will do it," Evan told him, adjusting his tie. "I've gotta get to work." He took his wallet out and leafed through a few hundred dollar bills.

He took out ten one hundred and threw it on the counter for Joseph. "This should get you wherever you're going. It was nice seeing you."

Alyson scoffed in disbelief at her husband as began to make his way to the door.

"Actually," Joseph stood up quickly. "There's another thing that I need."