Chapter Seven

Song Seven: Girl On Fire by Alicia Keys featuring Nicki Minaj

* * * * * * * * * * 

Nikki successfully found the bathroom, and afterward, she continued her tour of Joseph's mansion. Being the introverted person that she was, she ended up finding herself outside by the pool. There were a few guests standing around, whispering, and talking about the late millionaire. 

Realizing that she should probably go find her mom, Nikki turns to go inside the house but bumps into someone. If she hadn't been caught, she would have landed on her butt.

"I'm so sorry," she backed up, brushing her dress off with her hands. "I didn't see -" Nikki looks up to see the person she had bumped into was Rick.

"Oh," she sighed in relief that she hadn't bumped into a complete stranger. "Rick! Hi!"

"Hey, Nikki," Rick was surprised to see her. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in school?"

"Yeah, well, no, it's a holiday so school's closed. I had plans with my friends but, it fell through. So I came with my mom and aunt. Not the most fun way to spend the day, I know but," she shrugged, "didn't feel like being in the house today, so. . ."

"Understandable," Rick pushes his hands into his slacks pockets. "Where's Angel?" 

"She's having a play date with her friend from school. Where's your wife?"

Her question caused Rick to snicker and laugh. She sounded just like Mia. If someone was going to bombard her with questions, she was going to do the same, whether it be for jokes or not. 

It was apart of her sarcastic, feisty, humor.

"Where is my wife?" Rick repeated the question, "well -"

"That is a good question," Mia joined the two, having come from inside the house. "Where is Kelly?"

She had this curious look on her face that confused Rick. Mia never asked about Kelly because she didn't care to know.

"Am I speaking Spanish?"  Mia cocked an eyebrow. "Donde es Kelly?"

Rick smiled, her Spanish reminding him of when he used to teach her phrases when they dated.

Why they started talking, Nikki pulled out her phone and walked a few feet away.

"She didn't come. In fact, she didn't want me to come. She felt if I support Evan, I shouldn't have come. Not because he didn't know his grandfather but because -"

"Of Joseph -" Mia crossed her across her arms over her chest, not at all surprised. "You're his best friend, did you know who his grandfather was or that Joseph was alive?"

"Nope," Rick had a visible look of disappointment in his eyes. Like he had been betrayed. "And I wouldn't have known if Kelly hadn't spilled the beans after talking to Alyson. You'd think you know everything about your best friend for years but I guess not."

Mia hated to see Rick sad. He was a good guy and he treated everybody with kindness and respect, even if you were a stranger. Rick was someone who deserved the best whether it be in friendships or relationships. Yet somehow, he always managed to get screwed over.

The fact that Mia was one of the people to do that, hurt her - bad.

"I wouldn't take it to heart," she tried to help. "No one knows everything about anyone. It's just impossible, there's always a secret. Plus, this obviously runs deeper than normal daddy issues."

My Husband's Father -BWWM-जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें