Chapter Fourteen

Joseph pulls up to Alyson and Evan's house, turning his motorcycle off and putting down the kickstand with his boot. Alyson climbed off from behind him, took off the helmet and gave it to him.

"Sorry for getting you home so late, one of the cons of not planning things."

"It's okay," Alyson slid her hands in her back pocket, "I had a really fun night, the most fun that I've had in a long time. I don't really get out much."

"You should," Joseph placed his helmet in between his legs and rested his arms on it, "you're a good time."

Alyson looked away, trying to hide her smile.

"Also, it's not okay. I didn't think about how late we'd get back. If Evan gives you shit just blame it on me."

Alyson giggled, "don't worry about him. His car isn't even here, he's probably still at work. He works late a lot."

The words of her own reality caused her to look back at the big empty house that she was about to be alone in. That familiar loathe feeling fell over her, just like it did when she was coming back home from work or back from a trip with Joseph.

"You know I don't pity you, right?" Joseph asked her.

Alyson turned her back to the house, to look at him.

"I want you to know that. Not that you should give a shit what I think anyway."

"I don't give a shit," Alyson remarked playfully, causing Joseph to laugh. "But thank you, I really appreciate you. You're a good friend."

"You're welcome," Joseph blushed. "I have to say I'm surprised you decided to work with me. I figured Evan would have made it so you couldn't even look at me."

Alyson shrugged, "maybe you were horrible back then, I don't know. What I do know, is people change sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. You've been nothing but kind and respectful to me, so I won't hold who you used to be against you. Especially since I don't know half of what really went down between you two."

If only Alyson knew how good that made Joseph feel. His past was something that he couldn't live down because it was always thrown in his face. Yet here she was, having given him the benefit of the doubt since the day she met him.

She judged him based on who he was now, now what it was said he used to be. 

"I'll guess we'll have to save that conversation for another day, huh?"

"Maybe, maybe not," Alyson hugged him tightly, "you don't owe me any explanation."

Joseph wrapped his arms around her, hugging her back.

"Thank you," Alyson found herself closing her eyes.

She didn't know what it was but, his hug gave her comfort and peace that she couldn't even begin to explain. Joseph had that type of hug that made you feel safe and secure; you didn't even like the thought of letting go.

"You alright?" Joseph asked, realizing how tight she was hanging on to him.

Feeling herself get welled up, Alyson pulled out of the hug, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to -"