Chapter Sixteen

When they got to the hospital, Rick was in surgery. They had no idea where he got shot or how bad it was, so they were forced to sit in the waiting room and wait until he was out of surgery.

While they waited, Alyson took the time to confess to Evan about what she asked Kelly and he was beyond pissed.

"Are you insane?" he whispered, so they wouldn't attract any attention from others in the waiting room. "Why the hell would I be sleeping with Kelly?"

Alyson didn't respond, she only kept her gaze forward, leaning her elbow on the arm of the chair. No, she wasn't proud of her actions tonight but that didn't change her assumptions. Kelly got way too pissed for nothing to be going on.

"Out of all people, you assume it's your best friend? Are you stupid?" Evan asked her, "what were you thinking?"

"I was thinking how weird it was, that you gave her all the credit for something you know damn well I did."

"Oh come on," Evan scoffed, "I didn't want her to feel bad."

"Really?" Alyson chuckled, shaking her head. "So, seeing her with Rick isn't what pissed you off the night of  her birthday party?"

Evan went silent for a moment, "of course it wasn't that. It was having to talk about you working with that man all night."

"Oh right, it's your daddy issues, that's why," Alyson laughed, crossing her arms over chest.

Evan's eyes widened in surprise. Alyson had never talked to him like that, ever. Even when she was upset with him, most of the time, she talked from a posture of compassion and love. She never intentionally went for the jugular.

"What did you just say to me?" he asked her. 

"You heard me. Your daddy issues, you're a child, Evan. Everything is always my fault. Last time I checked, I've been the one trying to keep this marriage and you've done nothing but walk over me and I'm tired of it."

"You've lost your mind," he nodded, "yeah that's it. You've officially lost it."

"That's where you're wrong, Evan. I found it."

"Yeah, okay," he laughed, looking away.

"Alright, tell me this then, if it isn't Kelly, who is it? Because I know there's someone. There's someone knocking your socks off Evan Taylor and it ain't me."

Evan kept his gaze away from her, his leg shaking up and down.

"That's what I thought," Alyson stood up to leave.

"Wait, baby," Evan quickly got up and followed after her. "Alyson, hear me out," he grabbed her hand and pulled her back.

"Leave me alone," she pulled away, tears spilling down her cheeks.

"Come on, don't be like that," he kept pulling her back, despite her efforts to try and get away from him.

Luckily, Mia was on her shift tonight and had come to check-up on them. When she saw what was going on, she immediately interfered.

"Hey, hey," Mia pulled her away from him.

"Stay out of this, Mia, I'm trying to talk to my wife."

"Don't you see she's upset? She doesn't wasn't to talk to you, are you stupid, or do you not know what means?"

Clenching his teeth in anger, Evan reluctantly backed away and sat back down.

"Come on," Mia went across the waiting room and sat a crying Alyson down. "Hey, what's wrong?" she wiped her sister's eyes, "did he say something to you?"