Chapter Twelve

"Thank you so much for watching Angel," said Mia as she watched Alyson put the rest of the shopping bags in her trunk. Since Nikki was at a friend's for the weekend, Alyson ended up watching Angel for Mia who got called into work.

"You know I'm always open to spending time with my nieces," Alyson closed the trunk and turned to face her sister. "Besides, we had so much fun. We went out for lunch, I took her to the mall and bought her some stuff. We even picked some things out for you and Nikki, so enjoy."

"Aww, I love you!" Mia hugged her tightly, "and by the way, you look so good!" She backed away, taking in the sight of Alyson who was currently wearing a tan bikini with high waisted shorts and white crochet top.

"Thanks!" Alyson gushed, "Evan and I are going to Kelly's birthday pool party tonight."

"Oh, really?" Mia cringed at the mention of the blonde's name, "sounds fun."

"Yeah, Rick didn't tell you?" Alyson crossed her arms over her chest.

"Why would he?" Mia scoffed, "it's not like we're besties. I haven't talked to him for like six months."

"Seriously?" Alyson was surprised.

"Yes! I meant it when I said that I didn't want to be a problem between him and Kelly. Though Kelly and I are cordial, out of respect, I think it's good we keep a safe distance."

"Wow."

"What?"

"I'm just surprised Rick agreed to keep a distance."

"Now I didn't say that. That hasn't stopped him from trying to check up on me. The guy's nuts."

"Or he's just a good friend and cares about you," suggested Aly.

"Whatever," Mia shrugged.

Not only was she keeping her distance from Rick because of Kelly but it was harder to be around him when she was sure there was something going on between Kelly and Evan. Just like Alyson, that wasn't something Rick was ready to hear or come to terms with.

It takes a lot to break Rick down, so hearing that his wife and best friend might be having an affair would crush him.

"So, how are things with Joseph?" Mia changed the subject.

"Things are great!" Alyson lit up, "things are better than ever. We have some big things coming up. Besides traveling, Joseph has been spending the last six months, coming up with a new bottle of wine. He's been working so hard, with the planting and the studying, and the tasting, he is amazing. His work ethic is out of this world."

"That's really good! I'm so proud of you, Aly. I knew that working with him would be good for you. Evan's not giving you any crap about is he?"

"No, actually, he's not. He hasn't even brought it up. I told you, he's been very consistent with his behavior."

"Hm," Mia mentally rolled her eyes at the fact, he suddenly became nice after her conversation with Kelly.

"This is the best things have been between us in a very long time."

"Then how come you don't sound happy? And you never sound happy when you have to come from work."