Chapter Six

Song Six: Secrets by One Republic 

* * * * * * * * * * 

Sunday was always Mia and Alyson's favorite day of the week. When Mia managed to get out of her marriage, the most important thing to her was rekindling her relationship with her sister. Being in such a bad relationship made it so she and the kids didn't see Alyson often. To take a step toward becoming close, they decided that they would have a movie night every Sunday with the girls.

Tonight's movie was Princess and the Frog picked by Angel who absolutely loved the movie and never got tired of watching it.

After the movie, it was time for the girls to go to bed since they have school tomorrow; which left Mia and Alyson to have sister time.

Sister time consisted of drinking a whole bottle of their favorite wine - Merlot 

Tonight's chat: Evan's refusal to go to his grandfather's memorial service.

"So, that's it?" Mia asked, pouring herself a second glass of wine. "He's just not going to go?"

"I tried," Alyson ran her finger through her hair. "He just refused. He got so pissed at me for even bringing Joseph up."

"Well, obviously, Aly," Mia grabbed a pillow and clutched it to her chest with her free arm. "The guy had you thinking his own father was dead - that means some serious crap happened between the two."

"Yeah, I guess," Alyson gave a shrug and took a sip of her wine.

Mia's eyebrows raised, "you guess?" 

"I'm just saying Mia, when you meet the guy and you talk to him, he doesn't seem like he would hurt a fly, let alone his own son."

"Those are the ones you gotta watch," Mia rolled her eyes. "They look nice but what's really behind the mask is ready to pop out on you any minute."

"Yeah," Alyson gulped down the last of her wine, letting out a content sigh, "maybe you're right."

"Are you gonna go to the service?" Mia asked curiously.

Alyon reached over to the coffee table to put her empty wine glass down, "I want to but, I told Joseph I would get Evan to come. I'll just look stupid if I show up without him."

"Take me," Mia frowned.

"You want to go?" Alyson was surprised to hear.

"Yeah, it's on Tuesday, and I'm off that day. While I wasn't preparing to spend my day off at a memorial service, I'm curious to see the man who created your as -"

Mia trailed off as Alyson tilted her head at her. 

"Evan . . . see the man who created Evan."

The sister's had a rule - you could not insult each other's significant others in front of each other's faces. It was the same when Mia was married. It made it so their marriages didn't affect their relationship with each other.

"Anyway," Alyson changed the subject, "did you talk to Nikki about her skipping school?"

"Oh yeah," the mother sighed. "She had an anxiety attack after seeing some couple at her school start getting into it. It took her back and she didn't make it to class."

Alyson patted Mia's leg, "I knew it was a good reason. I told you."

"I know, I know." Mia placed her wine glass on the coffee table. "She's afraid her dad will find us."

"And what'd you tell her?"

"That if he was gonna find us, he would have by now. I didn't know what else to say? I don't want her to be afraid of living life."