Chapter Eight

Song Eight: Checklist by Normani and Calvin Harris featuring Wizkid

* * * * * * * * * *

It had been a week since Joseph offered Alyson a job. She had been going back and forth for days, trying to figure out how to ask Evan if he would be okay with it and if she really wanted to do it. In her heart, she knew that she did but, she was kind of afraid.

Partnering with someone who didn't know anything about business meant Joseph would be counting on her for a lot. 

It wasn't going to be easy, in fact, the thought of it caused Alyson to feel so much pressure. She had been questioning whether she could do it. More importantly, she didn't want to let Joseph down.

Surprisingly, she woke up on a Wednesday, deciding that she was going to talk to Evan about Joseph's offer. Of course, she wasn't able to catch him in the morning because he was gone before she even woke up.

She was expecting to ask him that night but to her surprise, he ended up coming home around noon - which was not normal.

Alyson was lying across their bed, reading a magazine when he came inside the room. It wasn't until she heard his briefcase hit the floor that she even looked back at him.

"Hey," she closed the magazine and sat up.

"Hi," he snapped, roughly losing his tie.

Without even looking at her, he went straight toward their walk-in closet.

It was hard to tell if he was annoyed by something or if he was just being Evan.

Climbing out of the bed, Alyson went to stand in the doorway of the closet where Evan was kicking off his shoes.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"Yep," he gave her another short answer.

Still, she wasn't able to confirm whether he wasn't okay or if he was just being Evan. She hated to admit it but him giving her short answers was not abnormal. But, since he was there, she thought it would be a good time to mention Joseph.

"Well, since your home," she cleared her throat.

Evan only glanced at her, taking off his dress shirt.

"There's something I've been wanting to talk to you about."

Alyson was so nervous to ask, that her gaze was to the floor. If she had been paying attention she would have realized that Evan was stalking toward her.

"When I went to your father's -" the moment she lifted her head, she was interrupted by Evan crashing his lips into hers.

She was so caught off guard, she didn't react to the kiss and when he didn't pull away, she was even more in shock.

It took a minute but she started to kiss him back.

Things went from zero to a hundred very quickly. One moment they were kissing and the next Evan roughly tossed her on the bed.