Chapter Twenty-Three

This was it for Alyson. She was done with Evan. She was done holding on to the fantasy that they could fix their marriage. Unfortunately, there was no one she could blame but herself. Evan has always shown her who he was, and she chose to ignore it all these years.

The confirmation about him and Kelly was the last straw.

Alyson wanted no part of Evan. She wanted a divorce as soon as possible.

So she went to the house to see him.

She wanted to tell him right to his face that they were over.

Since she still had her house key, Alyson didn't bother to knock. She went in without announcing herself.

Closing the door, she looked around the seemingly quiet house. She knew Evan was there, and Maggie was too. Both of their cars were in the driveway.

Just as she was about to yell out for him, Alyson could hear voices coming from Evan's office.

She took off toward the office, ready to bombard them with the news of her departure from their dysfunctional family.

She was going to walk in but stopped when she heard Maggie mention Kelly's name.

"Listen to me, Evan," she snapped at her grandson. "You were supposed to get closer to Kelly, not impregnate her."

"You keep reminding me," replied an agitated Evan.

"Because you keep forgetting what the plan was in the first place!"

Thinking fast, Alyson pulls out her phone and starts recording their conversation.

"Look, Kelly's father's company just had a big merger. If we're going to get a piece of their fortune, you are going to have to suck it up and do right by Kelly. If you're on her bad side, you get nothing. Plus, this baby could work in our favor. It has your blood, already making you worthy of -"

"No, I'm not doing this with you anymore!" Evan yelled. "I don't care about Kelly."

"You're the father of her child."

"I will provide for the child, but I will not put up a facade with Kelly. I want nothing to do with her. I don't care about her father's company -"

"You should! Do you know how much money -"

"Is the money I have not enough!?" he asked her. "I send you on trips, buy you everything you want, and it's still not enough."

"Honey, honey, honey," Maggie made her tone soft. "Why stop at what you have? We deserve more, and then some."

Evan let out a stressed sigh.

"I'm doing this all for you, E," Maggie tried to convince him. "You have to trust me."

"How can I trust you?" Evan asked her. "You're the reason my marriage is in shams. You never liked Aly. You've always liked Kelly because of who her father was. You made me think -"

Maggie scoffs, "I didn't make you cheat on your wife. More than once."

Evan goes quiet, letting his silence speak for his guilt and remorse. Maggie might have been evil, but that didn't make him a saint either.

"Sweetheart, you've already missed the chance to make up with Alyson."

"Because of you!"

"And! I'm sure Rick has already told her. She's probably filing for divorce as we speak."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because, its even more reason for you to focus on getting close to Kelly, to get to her father."