Chapter Twenty-Two

There was no more waiting for anyone to tell the truth. If Kelly and Evan were sleeping together - Rick needed to know now, especially if the baby wasn't his. The sad part was, as he was speeding to Evan's house, he already knew the truth.

He felt it in his gut. 

It didn't matter how much he tried to ignore it, it prodded at his soul, breaking down the reality of his life second by second. 

The moment he parked in Evan's driveway, he turned off the car and practically hopped out. There were so many thoughts and emotions going through his head; he didn't even knock on the door; he just waltzed right in. 

"Evan!" he called out to his best friend. 

He checked the living room first.

As if he wasn't already on the verge of an emotional breakdown, he noticed Kelly's purse on the living room couch. Since Rick's car was in the shop for a tune-up, she said he could use hers because she didn't plan on leaving the house today.

Yet, here she was. 

He found Kelly outside by the pool with Evan.

She was visibly angry as she yelled at Evan, who just stood with his arms crossed over her chest, taking it. 

Kelly was so busy yelling; she didn't notice Rick come out of the house. 

"This is not all on me!" she told Evan. "This is your doing too! If you think you can just ignore my calls and pretend that we never -"

"So, it's true."

Kelly went mute, turning her head to look at Rick.

At the sound of his best friend's voice, Evan held his head low, cursing under his breath.

"Rick," guilt beamed in Kelly's eyes, "this isn't what is - we -"

"And you're still going to lie," Rick scoffed in disbelief. "You've had so many times, to tell the truth, and even after being caught redhanded, you still lie to my face."

Kelly gulped, shaking her head, "just hear me out -"

"Look, Rick," Evan sighed and turned to look at Rick, "I don't know about Kelly, but I'm tired of tiptoeing around all of this."

"Evan -" Kelly shot him a threatening gaze.

"No, Kelly. If I'm going to make things right with Aly, we need to figure all of this out."

Rick couldn't believe what he was hearing. His so-called best friend was admitting that he had slept with his wife and gotten her pregnant. To put the icing on the cake, he didn't want anything to do with Kelly.

His focus was so on Alyson that he didn't even care that he betrayed Rick.

"Would you shut up?!" Kelly snapped at Evan.

"The cat's out of the bag," Evan went on. 

Evan was so busy talking that he didn't notice the anger in Rick's eyes.

"We are all adults here, and we should handle this like -"

A punch to the face sent Evan whirling. 

"Rick!" Kelly gasped. "Rick, stop it!"

But it was no use, all Rick saw was red.

He gave Evan a beat down that would scar anybody for life. Rick sent blows to Evan's face, mercilessly. His bruised fists weren't going to look as bad as Evan's scars.

"Rick! Stop!" Kelly ran over, pulling him off of Evan. 

Rick turned to her with angry tears streaming down his cheeks.