Chapter Twenty

A scruffy-faced exhausted Evan stared out the window of his office, sipping on a glass of whiskey. The last two months hadn't been the best for Evan and the beard he was two seconds from having, showed that. The loneliness that Alyson had once felt being in that house, had passed on to him.

Knowing that she wasn't there, made him not want to go back. Even when he didn't treat her right, in the back of his mind, there was comfort in knowing that she there. That she would always be there because that's how much she loved him. She loved him and he took her for granted.

And now that she had been gone, he wanted her back. There was no other woman like Alyson who was going to put up with him, nor was there a woman who would take care of him as well as she did. 

If he was going to get her back, he was going to wow her tonight and prove that he had changed.

In the middle of his thought session, his office phone rang. Going over to his desk, he read the caller ID to see that it was his secretary. He answered, putting her on speaker, "yeah?"

"Uh, sir, I know you said you didn't want to be bothered by your gr-"

Right in the middle of her sentence, an angry Maggie bursts into his office with her designer shades over her eyes and her purse on her shoulders.

"Have you lost your mind?" she scolded him.

"Thanks, Rita," Evan hung up with an eye roll.

"Don't roll your eyes at me," Maggie snapped, walking over. She took off her shades, tossing him on her desk. She put her purse down, "What the hell is that on your face? You look like shit."

"Thanks," Evan scoffs, downing the rest of this whiskey.

"did you forget how to use a god damn phone?"

"We just talked yesterday, what are you talking about?" he asked.

"I'm not talking about my calls, I'm talking about Kelly's? I thought we agreed -"

"I changed my mind," he shrugged, "I don't want to -"

"You don't get to change your mind, Evan. Not know, it's too late. She's p -"

"I don't want to be with her, alright?" he slammed the empty glass down. "I'll admit, I was on board before and it was fun."

"Yeah, I bet it was," Maggie cackled, starting to pace, "you weren't complaining when you were ramming her slutty ass."

Leaning on the desk, Evan sighs, "That's the thing, it was only fun. I love -"

"Don't say her name, don't you dare say her name," Maggie snapped, "we've come too far for you to -"

"I love Alyson, grandma. No one can compare to her, not even -"

"Oh Evan," Maggie shook her head, "Evan, Evan, Evan, Evan." She walks around the table, grabbing a hold of his face, "my handsome, successful but naive grandson. Do you hear yourself? Do you think she'll really take you back after she finds out you're the father of  -"

"I was hoping she wouldn't have to know," Evan couldn't even bear to hear the rest of the sentence. "I screwed up, I know I did. But I didn't want to, it's because of you and -"

"Before you point fingers," she lets face his go, "let's be clear that it wasn't my idea for you to go screwing around. You killed your marriage with Alyson, not me."

Evan sucked in a breath, anger filling his veins.

"Now," she grabs his chin so he could look at her, "you did what we did and now we're here. This just makes everything easier, so listen to me, and listen closely."