Chapter Nineteen

Walking into the living room with a beer, Mia gave it to Rick as she joined him on the couch.

"Thanks," he took it appreciatively.

"What's wrong?" Mia lifted her legs and held them against her chest. "Why do you look like you saw a puppy get ran over?"

A brooding Rick sat back, tapping his fingers against the beer bottle in between his open legs. 

"What is it, huh? Is it Kelly?" Mia chuckled at her own question, "of course it's Kelly, what did she do?"

Rick didn't find her question amusing at all. He looks at Mia with an expression that made a chill run down her spine.

Putting his beer on the coffee table, Rick sat up and turned his body to face her, "if something bad was going on would you tell me?"

Keeping a straight face, Mia shrugs, "it depends, what's the bad thing are you referring to?"

"That's the thing, I don't know. All I remember is getting shot and everything going black. Then I wake up, Kelly's pregnant, Aly's left Evan, you changed your number, and Evan won't answer my calls."

"You haven't talked to Evan?" Mia was surprised to hear.

Rick shook his head, "when Aly left, I don't know he just kind of push me away. Said he needed time to himself."

Mia bit the inside of her lip, trying to suppress the anger she felt. If this didn't prove that something was going on between Evan and Kelly, she didn't know what did.

The guy has possibly knocked up his best friend's wife, and he deals with it by shutting him out. That made her wondered if he had even talked to Kelly since. He had to though, especially if it was his baby.

"Something did happen didn't it?" Rick could tell by how deep in thought she went.

Mia didn't know how to respond. Part of her wanted to spill the beans but she wasn't sure he could handle it. She felt so bad for Rick, it was a shame that he was being left out of the loop. Who would have known Kelly and Evan were such cowards?

"Tell me," Rick begged. "I need to know."

"Rick," Mia sighed.

"Mia, please," he begged.

"I mean, there's not much to tell. Evan's a dick, this we know, Alyson got tired of his crap, so she left."

"Okay but why aren't Kelly and Alyson talking?"

"From what Aly told me, they had fallen out at Evan's dinner party."

"Falling out?" Rick kept questioning, "did they butt heads planning the party together?"

"Planning the party together?" Mia chuckled, "They didn't plan the party together? Is that what Kelly told you?"

"So, Aly didn't ask her to help because she had the stuff to do with Joseph?"

"No, Maggie asked Kelly to do it for Alyson. Well, more like made the decision herself, anyway." 

Turning away, Rick takes his beer and started gulping it down.

"Wow, you're really out of the loop," Mia shook her head in disbelief.

Realizing how uneasy he suddenly was she asked, "what's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's just, you bring up Maggie and . . ." he trails off, shaking his head in confusion.

"What?" Mia gestured for him to speak.

"Did you know she and Kelly were close?"

"Aly mentioned them hanging up from time to time but -"