Thirteen

***

It was freezing. It was so cold that Zayn thinks he's back in Glasgow when his father took Zayn with him for his business trip when he was nine. He was thankful that he had the sense to grab his thickest coat before he lets Louis shoved him out of the door and into a cab to get to his mate's party. Zayn didn't even want to go, but Louis insisted so much that  Zayn had no choice but to go in order for Louis to shut up.

Zayn hates him so much. If only murder has no legal repercussion Zayn might have throttle his best mate for being a daft for going to a party without any certain transportation of how to get back home. Hence, they're at the corner of the street waiting for Harry to pick them up since Louis already finished all of his money from losing a bet at the party and Zayn forgot his wallet back at the flat, therefore they can't pay for the bus.

It was downright embarrassing to call Harry at three o'clock in the morning and ask for a lift, but Harry waved off Zayn's apologies and told him that he'll pick them up in ten. Frankly, Zayn wouldn't have called Harry if they have other options, but they don't.

"So, what's going on with you and Harry?" Louis asks as he takes the lighter from Zayn's palms and lights his cigarettes.

He shrugs. He knows that Louis will eventually ask with the way Harry keeps staying and visiting at his and Louis' flat and with the way Harry didn't even hesitate to say yes when Zayn asked him to pick them up at three in the morning "Nothing serious."

"Nothing serious, ey? Is that why you and Harry talks and settles every  decision around you like it's a big deal and will affect your future."

"We don't do that." He rolls his eyes as he drags the ciggie away his mouth to blow out the smoke.

Louis raises his eyebrows in challenge "Remember the time when I asked you both if Harry's staying the night at the flat so I'll know if I will order an extra weed from Tarly and you both got flustered like it's the first time you'll both attend a sleepover."

"That was our first night together, all right?" Zayn defends.

"Well, what happened that night, tosser?"

"We snogged and we were  about to do it. He was on my bed and taking off my b-"

"Gross, Zayn!" Louis moans "Don't narrate a smut."

Zayn punches him in the arms and flips him off with his finger "I'm not, chill." Louis rolls his eyes "As I was saying, we were about to do it, but then Harry saw my freshmen ID and it just ruined the mood."

"Because you look like a frog in a grasshopper's body?" He teases.

Zayn scowls at him "You're the one to talk. Remember when a girl called you a 'boiled pigeon' because you got that awful Mohawk just to fit in with that  goth group you were trying to impress back in sixth form."

It was Louis' turn to scowl "I told you to forget that! I was young!"

"Yeah, you were.".

"I didn't know any better."

"You never do."

"And I regret it."

"Cry me a river."

"You're a twat."

Zayn snorts.

"And I hope Harry never sucks your dick."

Zayn glares at him "Don't jinx it, you mohawk-headed twat."

Louis gives him an incredulous  look "Have  you even done it?"

There was a pregnant pause until Zayn shrugs "He touched me."

Louis blinks at him "Oh, wow, congratulations! That's such a big step for two  twelve year old virgins. What should you do next? Kiss each other with tongues?"

"Don't mock us." Zayn slaps him on the back of his head. "We're going to do it eventually,"

"Great, you scheduled your sex sessions. When are you going to turn thirteen then, twelve year old Zayn?"

"Oi, shut it will you!"

Louis rolls his eyes "I'm just saying that this is like the most tedious friends with benefits relationship in the history."

"Oh, fuck off." Zayn scowls "We're getting there."

Louis snorts "You're just afraid that once you do it, you'll realize you'll want more."

"What do you mean?"

"Zayn, friends with benefits is a gobshite relationship. It's not real! And one of you will eventually fall for the other and I don't think it would be Harry."

Zayn didn't respond, instead he looks away from Louis and settles his gaze at a street lamp that was a few meters away.

"I know." Zayn finally mutters so quietly that Louis wouldn't have heard it if he wasn't so fixated on Zayn's problem.

Louis gives him a pointed look "You know you can't. He has a soulmate and-"

"I know." Zayn repeats again.

Louis sighs before looking away from Zayn for a moment and then turning back around with a sour look "How's Jo anyway?"

"Fine." Zayn rolls his eyes "You don't have to bring that up?"

"I'm just interested, because Jo's my friend."

"If you're a friend, then ask Jo yourself."

"I just don't want you to forget." Louis gives him a pity look.

"I know." Zayn almost growls

"Especially since you're getting attached to Harry."

At the mention of his name, Harry immediately pops into Zayn's mind like a cat appearing out of nowhere.

Zayn's heart beats fast at the thought of seeing and being with Harry again soon. Zayn's heart flutters fiercely within his chest like a hummingbird. Without realizing it, Zayn was smiling faintly like an idiot. He tries to stop it, but found that he can't. If he could, he would go inside his rib cage and physically squeeze his damn heart until it stopped beating for Harry.

There was a moment of pause until Zayn sighs and says "I know." in a quiet defeated tone as his mind keeps screaming and chanting Harry's name.

His mind didn't stopped thinking of Harry until the familiar green car of the devil himself stopped in front of Zayn and Louis.

"Hey, damsel in distress." Harry calls out with a mock disappointed frown.

Zayn rolls his eyes as he and Louis made a move towards the car but stopped when Harry went out of the car and rushed to Zayn with his jacket.

"It's 60 Farenheit. Here, wear this." Harry helped Zayn get the jacket on, not missing the look Louis' giving him from behind Harry.

"I'm all right." Zayn says tightly, not making eye contact with Harry, because he knows Louis' right.

"Oh, please, I know how cold you always get." Harry rolls his eyes. And Zayn can't do anything about it but accept Harry's offer.

"What took you so long anyway? I thought you'll be here in ten minutes, grandpa." Zayn teases when they all got in the car.

Harry huffs reaching at the back seat before settling something on Zayn's lap "I stopped by at Mcdonald's and bought you nuggets. Here. I know how hungry you always get after you've gone out to drink."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, eat up, babe."