Twenty Two

***

When it was just him and Harry left at the restaurant, it was like a giant bubble was burst. Zayn doesn't need to watch his tongue or be careful on what he says, and Harry doesn't need to be timid and be hesitant to look at Zayn now that they don't have company to be wary of.

They were talking and bickering over the pronunciation of tomato, just because Zayn said to-mah-to which had Harry spurt out his drink as if it was poisoned. Apparently, pronunciation is one of the things they'll dispute about so passionately.

They were arguing about the pronunciation of neither and either, and it was infuriating Zayn so much that he can't even count how many times he'd rolled his eyes on Harry.

"That is so wrong!"

"You're wrong." Zayn rebukes.

"Excuse me." An old woman from the next table interrupts. "Are all of your arguments like this because we heard you earlier fighting over the right way to say 'caramel'?"

"Ha!" Zayn exclaims, turning to Harry with wide eyes and pointing at him with so much accusation "She said car-mel."

"It's ca-ra-mel." Harry moans, slapping his hands over his forehead.

"Someone already said it."

"Then why would they put the A in between the R and M?"

"To challenge your intellectual whim, you noob." Zayn scoffs.

"Fine you know what, I won't ever say  the word ca-ra-mel ever again-"

"It's car-mel."

"If I'm going to order a ca-ra-mel yogurt, I would just say the dark yellow yogurt please."

"And risk your chance getting served with a mango yogurt?"

Harry cringes "I honestly can't believe some people like having fruits as a flavor of their dessert."

"What's wrong with it?" Zayn asks completely aghast.

"It's like they also want pineapples on their pizza."

"Pineapples on pizzas are delicious."

"Yeah, if you're broke and can't afford to eat something decent."

Zayn lets out a hollow laugh "I can't believe you!"

"Excuse me, but are you still debating on pronunciation?" The same woman interjects again.

"No, miss, I'm just explaining to him how pineapples don't work on pizzas." He rolls his eyes on Zayn, who scowls.

"See, Arnold!" The woman shrieks turning to her husband "Why can't we fight on stupid stuff like this?" She slaps him on his arms before turning to them "These are the cute things couples fight about, right?."

Harry immediately flushes "Oh, we're not a couple."

"Oh?" The woman raises her eyebrows in surprise. "Sorry, I just thought I saw your tattoo glowed when you were looking at him."

Harry gapes "Oh, it must be the trick of the light."

The woman looks uncertain and doubtful but nods nonetheless, before going back to her husband, who started eating her meal.