Thirty

***

3 YEARS LATER

"Are you sure?" Zayn asks distractedly, the phone between his ears and shoulder already feels clammy for being nestled there for too long, as he continues to cook his lunch.

"Yes, Zayn." He can hear the smile in her tone, and Zayn has no doubt that she's rolling her eyes right now. "You don't have to keep sending me flowers every time I tell you that I had a bad day."

Zayn smiles "Well, I can't help it, it's like you're purposely telling me about your crap day at work just so I could give you more flowers."

"I do not!" She laughs "And please stop or else our house would start to look like a floral shop." Jo giggles over the phone.

"I'm sure Emmy would love that."

"Of course, she would. Any three year old kid would love it." She snorts.

"Ugh, she's growing up too fast." Zayn groans as he continues to busy himself with preparing his lunch. "I miss her already. I should surprise her there in Bradford, don't you think?"

She sighs "She would love that. She wants you to leave London actually." Jo says "She misses you that much."

"Well, I miss her more." Zayn smiles.

"I know." She snorts "Anyway, I have to go, Emmy's having a fit."

"Sure, don't forget to tell her that I love her!"

"Of course." She laughs "She loves you too."

"Yeah?" Zayn smiles.

"Yes, so, you better come home already, Mr. Bigshot." She teases "Before Emmy forgets about you."

"I could never be forgotten." Zayn retorts "Anyway, tell your husband that I said hi when he comes back from Liverpool." He says.

"Will do."

"Oh, and before I forget, expect another flower to arrive at your house tomorrow." Zayn says with a chuckle "Don't get mad, I sent it before this phone call, so I didn't know you want me to stop sending flowers."

"What's the flower for this time?" She asks in a grumpy tone.

"It's an apology gift, since I couldn't come to your baby shower next week." He says "Baby number two, right? must be exciting."

"We're hoping it's a boy." She says excitedly "But anyway Emmy's throwing a tantrum right now-"

"Then please attend to my favorite goddaughter's needs." Zayn teases.

She laughs "She's your only goddaughter, sweetie." Jo says before hanging up.

Zayn smiles as he sets his phone down beside him to focus on cooking his chicken curry.

He feels guilty that he couldn't come to Jo's baby shower. Not like Zayn was present at Emmy's baby shower either, but the difference between Jo's first and second baby party is that Zayn is finally invited to this time's party.