Nineteen

***

It has been a few days since Harry dropped the bombshell of finding his soulmate, and Zayn wants to cry because he doesn't know how the fuck this happened. One minute they were laughing and dancing to Buble and now Harry won't even look at him or speak to him for more than twenty seconds.

He stopped messaging Zayn with morning texts. He stopped giving him rides to and fro his flat. He stopped waiting for Zayn at the theater when he's held back to clean the rooms. He looks away when he notices Zayn hasn't eaten his lunch. He stopped giving a damn about Zayn, basically. 

Zayn should understand why Harry stopped, but the abrupt cessation of his interaction with Harry devastated him. He never thought that once Harry reunites with his soulmate that would also mean that he would stop talking to Zayn, and that probably hurts him the most.

"Phew, what died in here?" Louis says jokingly when he opens the door to Zayn's room.

"My heart." Zayn mumbles.

He wasn't sleeping, but he might as well do since he has been lying in his bed for hours, staring into nothing.

There was a pause until he felt a dip on his bed "Zayn, you should at least eat something."

"I've eaten." He points at the wafer on his bedside table

Zayn wasn't looking at Louis but he could imagine him roll his eyes "Something with protein."

"What's the point?" He asks melancholy. After a while he adds  "You know you could say I told you so."

"I'm not going to say that, you twat." He sighs.

"I know that you don't like the idea of me and Harry."

"Well, I'm not surprised you knew, because I didn't do any shit to hide that fact." He snorts "And you know why I don't approve."

"Because he has soulmate." He answers  "He has someone."

Louis made a frustrated noise "You have someone too." 

"You know I'll never have the chance of finding my soulmate."

"I'm not talking about your soulmate, fool." He scoffs and then softens "You know what I mean."

Zayn exhales "Of course."

"I wonder if your soulmate's looking for you."

"It would be easier if my soulmate just think I died or something, because there's no chance of us finding each other with my burned wrist."

Louis gives him a pity look "I'm sorry about that, mate. Truly, I am."

"It's not your fault, Louis."

Zayn knows Louis' not listening and he's still probably thinking about the fire at the school lab where Zayn's wrist got burned. Zayn knows that Louis still blames himself for what happened to this day.

"Have you talked to Jo?" He asks abruptly.

"About what?" Zayn scoffs.