so you're into each other?

"so are you?" joey asks and i laugh at him. we've told the guys about his oblivious question of yesterday night.
"how the hell would we be twins? we're so different" nicole tells him.
"different? you are basically the same, the only thing is that you have different colors" he says
"exactly" nicole says "i wish i had her eyes" she sighs.
i shift in the chair, feeling uncomfortable from her 'compliment'.

joey's pov

"awww is The mia evans blushing?" brandon teases her
she doesn't bother looking at him but she mumbles something under her breath, that i happen to be the only one to hear. "i wish i had your heart". she doesn't smile, she doesn't even laugh. her face shows nothing but malinconia and...sadness?
"okay so are you or not?" i insist, trying to snap her out of her thoughts.
i keep staring at her waiting for her to answer me. she turns around with a finally amused grin "she's one year older" she tells me.
"what?" i widen my eyes in disbelief "you're lying". i swear if one of them were to be older than the other i would have promised it would be nicole.
"wanna see my id?" she chuckles
"dude have you not noticed that she doesn't have any classes with us?" adam tells me and i just now realize.
"no way" i breathe out. this had me more shocked than it should have "you look at least 17" i tell mia.
"i'm not even 16 yet" she chuckles and i widen my eyes even more.
"dude this means you're almost two years younger than me" i say
"so?" she rises her brows at me
"so Us can't happen" i fake a disappointed face.
she almost chokes on her water and i wait for her response. she's gonna roast me and i know it.
"and why is that?" she turns her body towards me, catching me and everyone else completely off guard. i guess i'm not the only one who thought she was gonna yell at me.
"wait WHAT, so you're into each other?" nicole shouts excited.
"cause i don't date babies" i tease mia, playing it cool.
the bell rings but no one gets up yet.
"well" she takes a breath "first of all: even if i were 10 years younger than you, i would still be 20 steps ahead" she gets up while everyone stares at her. she throws her bag over her shoulder and bends over the table, staring right into my eyes.
"and second: who told you i would have dated you anyway?" she finishes off and starts leaving the cafeteria, while everyone bursts out laughing and i stare at her with a smirk on my face.

"another one? do they throw parties every week?" i ask adam. those sisters are pretty persistent with their popularity.
"um yeah? you didn't know?" adam rises his brows at me. i don't respond "dude you actually need to keep yourself updated" he jokes
i ignore him "but do their parents not complain about their house being messed up every weekend? yesterday it was pretty fucked up" i state and his amused expression drops.
"what?" i ask him
"their family situation is a little...hard, to understand" he tells me. i didn't know their parents were divorced.
"they live with their older brother, he's their legal guardian" he goes on.
"oh...but like...i mean...why?" i wasn't expecting that.
he stops right into the hallway and puts a hand on my shoulder "listen joey, i'm only telling you because i think i can trust you by now. but you have to promise me that you'll keep your mouth shut about this" he stares dead into my eyes.
i nod "i'm serious bro, not even nicole and mia have to know that i told you. and you absolutely must avoid bringing this up" he says.
"adam i promise" i say a little impatient.
he sighs and starts walking again "the girls and i have always been neighbors, we literally grew up together and they're my day1 best friends" he says "when we were kids we used to be stuck to each other's asses, same as now basically" he stops and i chuckle "and our parents used to be really good friends."
"they've always been a light in everyone's life. and even if it will sound completely bullshit to you, mia was the brightest one" he sighs again. that doesn't sound bullshit: that girl's smile could light up an entire town, that's why she should wear it more.
"i've always been a lot closer to mia than to nicole, believe it or not, till summer 2015. that's when everything changed"
"go on" i encourage him
"their mom had always suffered from cancer. in the girl's life she probably had something like 14 cancers removed, but gladly they were minor things that were moved on from not more than 2 months after each operation." i widen my eyes, 14 cancers is a lot.
"but you know, seeing your mom in a hospital bed at least once a year, for every year of your life, is a huge weight on someone's heart" he says and i nod
"for this reason the girls are more mature and open minded than every other kid you'll ever meet, cause they grew up dealing with the constant fear of losing their mom" he sighs
"till the moment when their fear became reality. there was a cancer that could not be removed: a big and incurable one."
"their mom was one of the best women i've ever met in my life, she was always smiling and looking at her from the outside you would have never imagined that she was so much hurt on the inside" he stops "and the girls are just like her" he smiles bitterly
"i tried being there for them. nicole had always known deep down her heart that it was gonna happen one day, so she was already used to the idea of having to leave her mom and that made her easier to help moving on from her loss. she was always willing to accept my love, and it couldn't help but grow bigger every day" i smile at his words. him and nicole are really that beautiful of a couple, i honestly think he's gonna marry her ass one day.
"but mia" he sighs deeply and i shot my head in his direction "she had never believed that her mom could leave her, she was always so positive that she made her dad believe in her mom's complete recovery too" he says and my heart sinks.
"so when That happened...she was destroyed" he starts breathing heavily. he really cares about mia, damn.
"she wanted to suffer alone and i was that stupid to let her. that's my biggest regret in life" he looks down and i pat his back
"it's not your fault adam, the loss of a parent is not something that can be easily cured" i reassure him
he doesn't answer and keeps going on "she didn't want anyone's support, care or love. she felt betrayed by life for taking her mom away and by herself for not forcing her to get used to the idea in advantage." he sighs and at this point i don't even know what to say anymore.
"i didn't do anything joey" he stops "i didn't save her from herself. she's hurt and she doesn't deserve anymore pain in her life" he now looks dead in my eyes.
i furrow my eyebrows at the sound of warning in his tone "why are you telling me this, adam?" i cross my arms.
i know how close he is to mia and he would never talk about her as a fragile person. his words have a purpose and i'm sure about that.
he sighs for the hundredth time, meaning i nailed the point. "i heard what you said at lunch today" he says and i mentally slap myself.
"so that's what this is about huh" i uncross my arms "look bro, i was totally joking. i would never hit on someone from our friends group, or at least not so fast and in that way." i reassure him
"i know, that's why i'm telling you" he says "mia has hardened under her loss and after that no one had enough balls to try and get to her heart. so what i'm saying is: do not deceive her of being ready to handle her if you are not."