there's no competition, you're really the one for me

a few weeks later

mia's pov

i enter my house and see angela, the wedding planner, standing in front of the entrance probably trying to figure out how to spice it up.
after the cerimonie we're gonna party here at home, since the house is pretty big and it's on the beach.
"hello darling" angela greets me and i smile at her.
"hi ang, how is it going here?" i stand next to her and look at the door. wow, she's really giving the best of her for this wedding.
"judge yourself honey" she says looking at my wife eyes and i giggle.
someone wraps their arms around me from behind and i immediately recognize who it is.
"hi baby, how was school?" she asks me
"it sucked as always" i giggle and she laughs. i turn around and she side-hugs me.
i'm glad that susan is not mad at me. two days after knowing about the marriage i went to apologize to her for running off without saying congratulations.
she understands the situation and how i'm feeling so she didn't mind, gladly.
"i'm home bitches!" hailey enters the house and widens her eyes when she sees the catering.
susan throws a fire look at her and i suffocate a laugh.
"the only bitch here is you hail-" nicole enters the house after her and immediately slaps her mouth.
at this point susan and i burst out laughing and my dad walks in.
"oh you're all home i see" he says "LEO! COME DOWNSTAIRS PLEASE!" he shouts and susan slaps him.
"can you not" she scold him and i giggle.
lei comes downstairs and my dad signals us to go sit on the couches.
once we're all sat down he speaks up "i know this is pretty late to ask since the wedding is tomorrow but we wanted to ask all of you guys to take part in it" he says
"what do you mean? you didn't want to invite us?" leo chuckles and susan smiles.
"no it's-...we have roles for each one of you" she says
"mia" she catches my attention "i wanted to ask you to be my witness" she says and i widen my eyes.
"and hailey i wanted to ask you the same" my dad tells her.
hailey jumps off the couch and hugs my dad. i'm still shocked so i don't move yet.
"if you don't feel like it i totally understand-" susan starts reassuring me but i cut her off by throwing myself on her.
she starts giggling and a huge smile appears on my face.
hailey and i sit back in our seats and susan looks at nicole "nicole, will you be my bridesmaid?" she says and nicole's eyes light up.
"OMG YES YES YES!!!" she shouts in excitement.
"and leo..." my dad says "we wanted to ask you to walk susan down the aisle" he says and we hear a sniff
"ooooh my big bro is crying" i push his shoulder.
"it's not me" he furrows his brows and i look behind me.
"ANGELA!" i yell and start laughing. i run towards her and hug her tight.
"you're the most beautiful family in the world" she says and wipes her tears.

the next day

joey's pov

"you look absolutely gorgeous susan" jane hugs her.
"i'm so happy that you're here" she says and hugs her back.
"of course, we couldn't miss it" she says and susan looks at adam and jonah.
"hi jonah, are you having fun?" she gives him a fake smile. i'm so glad i'm not hailey's boyfriend anymore, that look is not directed towards me now.
then she looks at me.
"congratulations susan" i force a smile. she smiles at me and comes to hug me. i hug her back and before letting go of me she whispers in my ear "don't you think you're out of the spotlight now that you're dating mia. i'll always keep an eye on you".
i pull away from the hug and she smiles at me. i chuckle and her smile becomes an honest one.
"where are the guys?" jane asks susan and she looks around.
"i don't know about leo and nicole but mia is over there" she points to the buffet.
a smile creeps on my face. she's really the one for me.
i walk towards her and place my hands on her hips.
"whoever you are i'm taken" she says and pushes my arms away. i tighten my grip around her and she turns around.
"i said-" she stops when she looks at me "oh, hi" she giggles.
i stare into her eyes and pull her closer to me "at least now you know how you're supposed to act when someone hits on you" i smirk.
she smiles at me "i only said that because i'm not interested, we both know i'm not actually taken" she winks at me referring to the fact that i haven't asked her out yet.
she tries to walk away but i pull her back "but we both know that you actually are" i attach my forehead to hers and she smiles at me.
when i found out about the wedding i thought that was the reason why mia looked so bothered the past few weeks. but now that i look at the huge smile on her face i'm starting to doubt that.
a voice in the microphone announces the first dance of the spouses. mia walks away from me and heads to the crowd that is now around christian and susan.
the music starts playing and they start dancing. christian is smiling like crazy and i couldn't be happier for him. he's been through a lot and he deserves to be happy.
one minute into the dance i start looking around for mia, without finding her. i spot every person's face in the crowd and around it and she's nowhere to be seen.
i walk away from the crowd and start looking around the house. i go upstairs to her room but she's not there.
i throw a glance at the kitchen and she isn't there either.
then i walk outside and i spot her.
her back is facing me and she's looking at the sea. the sunset reflects on the water and it makes the light from the golden hour two times more intense.
mia is sitting down with her legs crossed. i walk over to her and sit down next to her.
i keep quiet and look at her looking at the sea. she's the most beautiful human i've ever seen in my life and it's crazy that she's even more beautiful on the inside.
"i love it" she says without turning around "i've always loved it. it's always managed to calm me and make me happy at the same time just by looking at it".
i don't say anything and turn around to look at the sea. she's right...it's honestly stunning.
"now i love it even more than i used to. it reminds me of my mother" she says calmly and i shoot my head towards her. she's never talked to me about her mom.
"it's just like her: beautiful and extremely powerful" she says and i smile.
"we used to come swimming whenever there was a slight ray of sun to warm up the water...if she wasn't at the hospital, obviously." she scrunches her nose up that is already red from the intensity of the sunlight.
"why did you run off?" i ask her, knowing damn well the answer already.
"i couldn't handle watching the scene anymore" she says and i furrow my brows.
"i thought you liked susan" i tell her.
"i do" she immediately responds "i'm really happy she finally found happiness after that jock of hailey's dad. indeed she's not the scene i was talking about." she says and i furrow my brows even more.
she finally looks at me and my heart sinks in my chest at the sight of the sadness in her beautiful eyes.
she looks down at her fingers "it's my dad" she says.
after a few moments of silence she rubs her face "i don't even know why i'm saying this, this is awful" she says and i keep looking at her, as in telling her that i'm not gonna judge.
i could never judge her.
she looks at me and takes a deep breath, then she looks back at the sea and starts speaking "don't get me wrong, i want nothing but my dad's happiness." she says.
"but..." she sighs "having him completely broken over my mom's loss meant not being able to move on from her, which made me feel like she was still here" she says.
"while now that he's so happy with susan and that he married her...i don't know i'm just scared that-"
"that they'll forget about her" i cut her off.
she shoots her head in my direction and observes me.
she's probably so confused by how i would know that.
i shift closer to her and face the sea "i've never talked to you about my family but i think now it's time" i tell her.
"my little brother kashius' dad is not my dad. his father is my mom's new husband, his name is drew." i say and feel her looking at me.
"my dad passed away right after sophia was born. he used to be in the army and while they were putting down a revolt he got shot" i say and she sighs.
"when my mom got married again i was so mad at her. i felt like she was going to forget about my dad and i hated drew because i thought he wanted to take my dad's place" i say "but then, one day, my mom and drew walked into my room and told me that no one would have ever been able to take his place, because he may not have been the person my mom ended up with...but for sure he is the love of her life" at this point my attention is on mia again.
she is a crying mess and i know how bad she's feeling. i felt all she's feeling right now and it kills me to know that she has to go through this.
i hear mia sob and i pull on her legs, dragging her closer to me "i need you to open up to me" i tell her.
she calms herself down and then takes a deep breath.
"i've always been a happy kid. to people's eyes i used to have the perfect family that you see in cookies ads on tv, so for them me being such a cheerful child was more than normal" she says.
"in reality my mom has always struggled with health and i spent almost every year of my life in hospitals" she sighs "i grew up with the constant fear of losing her, i never took anything for granted. for that reason even the smallest things that for other kids were worthless could make me the happiest person on earth" she says and my heart clenches.
"the more i grew up the more my mom's health got scary, nicole took that as an opportunity to get used to the idea of her leaving us, while for me..." she sighs again "i've always been too faithful and naive to think that life could really be so cruel to take my mom away from me" she says such in a sad and soft tone that i feel a tear escape my eye.
gladly she's looking at the landscape so she doesn't see me.
"but i guess it's hitting your head that you get to learn from life" she says "and that time i hit my head so hard that it still hurts".
"it was my fault if my dad fell into alcohol. i was so positive about my mom recovering that i made him believe in that too. so when the worst happened...we both fell down." she says and starts crying again.
"you know what happened to my dad after, but to me...i still can't figure it out" she says "the feeling of betrayal is imprinted in my bones and the worst part is that i feel betrayed by myself for allowing me to believe in a fairytale while te proof of reality was just under my nose" she cries.
"i look back at my life before my mom's death and i can't recognize myself. i never felt that kind of happiness again and i don't think i'll ever be able to" she says and i hug her tight.
"it's like all the pureness got drained from me, there's not even one tiny sparkle left" she says and i lift her chin up.
i force her to look at me and i stare into her eyes "i want to be as honest as possible to you" i tell her "i was afraid to get near you at first because i had never seen something so pure in my life" i whisper and another tear falls from my eyes.
she raises her hand and gently wipes it off. she looks back at my eyes and it's in this exact moment, while i look at the beautiful pair of green orbs that always hold confidence making me go crazy and that now, soaking wet show nothing but fragility and affection, that i know...i'm in love with her.
i close almost completely the gap between our faces and mia doesn't move.
"mia" i whisper
"mhm?" she looks at my lips
"i'm about to kiss you" i tell her
"i know" she says and i attach our foreheads
"you can move if you don't want to" i tell her
"i know" she says looking into my eyes.
she doesn't move and i smile. i smash my lips on hers and she leans back, surprised by my eagerness.
i grip her waist and keep her steady. after a moment she wraps her arms around my neck and pulls me more into her, deepening the kiss.
she moves on me without breaking the kiss, placing herself on my laps with her legs on each side of me.
she tugs on my hair and tightens her thighs, hugging me with her whole body and turning the kiss from sweet and delicate to heated and passionate.
i pull away from her lips and place my forehead on hers "i don't think your dad would be happy to see us like this" i smile and look at the door.
she rolls her eyes "i'll tell him i call you daddy too" she chuckles.
i shoot my head in her direction and burst out laughing "there's no competition, you're really the one for me" i shake my head and she laughs.

and this it the end guys! thank u so much for supporting me and showing me your constant love❤️
i couldn't imagine someone would love my story like you guys do and even if it sounds bullshit you are so important to me❤️
i'm so happy that writing this story brought me such amazing friends and your loving comments lit up so many days where i felt like shit❤️
you literally added so much love to my journeys and as a big final gift for the last chapter...
WE ARE FIRST IN #joeybirlem!!!!🥺❤️
i don't know what to say besides THANK U❤️
i'll see you guys in a split sec🥰😉😩