25 turned down dates before 5 blessings

joey's pov

"oh, i'm sorry christian but joey is sick, so he won't make it to your house tonight" my mom tells christian on the phone, while i make wide armed movements to suggest her what to say.
"yeah...yeah...alright thank u again...bye" she says and hangs up.
i take a sigh of relief and she looks at me placing her hands on her hips. oh no here we go...
"speak. now." she says
"um hello?!" i say and she sends me a glare
"mom i don't wanna see her, i'm not ready yet" i sigh and sit down.
"baby, it's okay" she comes up to me and hugs me "rejection is never pretty, but it's nothing to be ashamed of. i'm sure she misunderstood you and when she'll realize what an amazing young man she's missing on, she'll change her mind and come back to you" she tells me and i look in her eyes.
"i hardly doubt that, she was pretty clear when we talked" i tell her "and she's not the type to change her mind that easily"
she sits down next to me and makes me look in her eyes "am i the type to change my mind easily?" she asks me and i furrow my brows
"no, but what does this have to do with-"
"you wanna know how many times i rejected your dad before i got with him?" she looks in my eyes "25" she says and i widen my eyes.
"it took me 25 turned down dates with him to actually start seeing him under a different light" she tells me
"and he kept asking you? didn't he get tired, damn" i tell her and she chuckles
"he never gave up, and you know what came out of it" she stands up and kisses my head "5 amazing blessings from god"
i smile and think about what she said. 25 fucking time-
"stop thinking about the 25 times and get the point of the conversation joey" she scolds me "get your ass up from that couch and go get the girl!" she throws a kitchen towel at me and i laugh.

after what mia had told me at the club i thought i had lost every chance of getting with her.
i thought there was nothing i could do to fix things up with her and i was completely defeated. i felt hurt in my ego and i didn't like that feeling at all.
but after what my mom told me about her and my dad, i realized that i don't have any reason to feel defeated at all.
i learned from my mistakes that stressing yourself to appear as someone you are not does not bring any benefit to you. it just makes things worse, especially with mia.
so what i'm doing is: i'll keep doing me, i'll drop this fuckboy mask and i'll be myself to the fullest from now on.
if i want mia to like me, i want her to do it for who i really am. even tho i highly doubt she'll find happiness in that ken ass, i won't interfere with her relationship and i'll let her be, so that if she decides to give us a shot, it'll be cause she's really convinced of that and not because i've pushed her in it.
hopefully her being clever will make the process quicker, cause i don't think i'll be able to stand her being with that barbie model for too long.