she's better than you at hiding it

a couple weeks later (i swear if i'm not a pro skipper)

hailey's pov

"are you fucking serious?" i enter his room right after a platinum blondie has walked out.
"what?" he asks throwing a shirt on
"dude you're not gonna get her attention if you're not full head in the plan" i tell him.
the morning after i cheated on him i immediately called him and asked him to meet up.
i told him what i had done and that i was interested in jonah, and he was completely okay with it. we came to the conclusion that we love each other as friends, but nothing more. i started dating jonah and i can officially say that i'm done with relationships based on sex, i really like him and i'm being serious this time.
and now i'm helping joey out with mia. i mean...he never really admitted that he likes her, but even a blind can see the spark in his eyes when he looks at her...and plus when i told him i wanted to help him in catching her attention he never turned down the offer.
"hay i already told you that this isn't going anywhere" he rolls his eyes at me.
this dude must be really dumb "and i already told you that you'll never get her attention if you don't work your ass off" i tell him and he looks away from me.
i sigh "you know mia, you know she's the opposite of the 'easy to get' type of girl" i go sit next to him "what has happened in the past few months made her think that you're childish and if you don't make her change her mind she'll never look at you in that way" i tell him.
"i know hailey but i've never done anything to get a girl's attention. i don't know how to do it and i've been trying for mia but honestly if that means i'll have to go out of my schemes to prove something to her i don't even know if i'm willing to do it"

joey's pov

"showing that you're mature does not mean going out of your schemes, it means being yourself around her without putting the 'i'm a cold hearted bitch who only wants to fuck' attitude up" she tells me and i sigh
"at this point i don't even know if that's really an attitude or if that's who i've become anymore" i say
i feel her staring at me before the bed moves, signaling she has laid down "okay then. that means that you'll just sit down and keep watching the girl that drives you crazy the most going out with her hot new boyfriend" she says and i feel my anger raising "who by the way rides a motorbike and is 19, which makes him look really mature" she sighs and i throw a pillow at her to make her shut up.
"age doesn't define your level of maturity" i state and she smirks.
"see? that was a smart answer, now why don't smart statements like this come out of your mouth when mia's around?" she crosses her arms and i roll my eyes.
"i'm seriously this close to kick you out of my house" i lay down next to her
"what! i'm trying to help you here!" she defends herself
"i never asked you" i tell her calmly
she rests on her elbows and looks at me in the eyes.
"i'm telling you right now that there is nothing you, mia or anyone else in the entire world could say to make me think that you don't like each other" she tells me
"what makes you so sure about that?" i tease her.
i know damn well i like mia, i figured during the weeks i spent hanging out at her house. her stubbornness, her being so loyal to her principles, her standing up for her ideas and not letting anyone step on her head...those are all things that have always attracted me in her.
but when i found out she had forgiven hailey for the sake of her dad and susan's relationship...that's when i realized i want to be with her.
every time chris invites me over to watch celtics play or hailey and i just want to hang out at the evan's i try to start conversations with mia, making jokes and teasing her, but she just doesn't seem to be there for it.
she's clever so she understood damn well that i'm trying to hit on her, so the more i try, the more she pushes me away.
and that makes me want her more and more everyday.
at this point i don't even care about how much of a weight her past could be on my shoulders: i'm willing to watch myself and treat her right if that allows me to be with her. she's so different from anyone i've ever met in my life. she acts like a complete bitch most of the time and then she goes and does something so pure that it catches you completely off guard. she's the perfect contradiction and she never stops to surprise me.
i want her in my life and knowing that i messed up even the smallest possibility of being at least her friend makes me so mad.
obviously what i told hailey about not wanting to go out of my schemes for mia is totally bullshit. i'd do anything to get to her and i'm for sure not leaving her to that made up piece of plastic that goes around on a motorbike. i'm getting her and that's final.
i just want to play it cool in case hailey knew something about mia liking me already and wanted to spit it out.
"tbh she's better than you at hiding it" hailey says, snapping me out of my thoughts "but a girl notices when another girl has something for her boyfriend" she winks at me and i chuckle.
"i have always noticed the glares she wound send me after finding out that me and you had got together" she tells me and i furrow my brows
"hasn't she always sent you glares after what happened between you two?" i ask her and she stiffens up at the subject. great idea bringing it up joey!
"no, she would just ignore me" she tells me and sighs "but anyways i considered it pretty much confirmed that she liked you when i told her that i had cheated on you and she got angry at me." she tells me and i keep quiet.
"trust me joey, i'm not gonna give up on you two" she says "i care about both of you, and i hurt mia too much in our past. i owe her this" she tells me and i smile at her.