you're too full of yourself

mia's pov

"okay see you tomorrow, love uuuu" i smile at jane before hugging her.
we hear a noise "oh adam must have arrived" she says
"yeah, i'll tell him bye on my way out" i say while letting go of the hug "oh and jane-"
"yes honey?" she says
"thank u for everything" i smile at her and she smiles back "no need to thank me love"
before leaving the kitchen i hear joey's voice coming from the living room. oh fuck fuck fuck, what do i do now? do i say hi or not? it will be awkward if i don't. yk what he probably won't even notice since he's been avoiding me. fuck it.
i start walking again but i stop dead in my tracks when i hear joey's voice speak again "hey bro, remember when you told me about mia and nicole's mom and stuff?"
WHAT?

"what the fuck does that mean?" i walk dangerously towards the couch.
adam shots his head in my direction and the color drains from his face.
"mia i-" he starts saying
"don't you dare apologize" i grit "what the fuck did you tell him" i try not to shout again
"i-" he hesitates and i feel the anger increase inside of me. he told him everything. i can see it from the guilty expression on his face. but that's not enough for me. he has to say it out loud, he has to see my trust slipping away from his hands. he has to feel what i'm feeling now.
"he told me" joey speaks up and i shot my head towards him. i look into his eyes that have been avoiding mine for days and, now, they're looking at me with the same, hateful compassion that is the exact reason why i don't tell people my story.
"he told me about your friendship: how you grew up together, how close you were, how much love you have for each other-" he starts rambling but i cut him off.
"stop rambling joey. tell me what the fuck he told you about my mom" i say and my heart sinks in my chest.
he looks at me as if i'm some scared child looking for his help. i hate it. and i can't believe that my best friend, who knows better than anyone how much i hate feeling pitied, has allowed this.
"he told me that you and nicole live with your older brother because your mom passed away in 2015" he breathes out. that fucking look still in his eyes
"stop looking at me like that" i run my hand through my hair in frustration.
"i'm not looking at you in any way" he says and i laugh bitterly.
"save it joey" i look at him "for real" i say before glancing back at the traitor. he has his head down and i see a tear running down his cheek. i couldn't care less tbh. he deserves to feel this way.
"mia listen" joey calls my attention "i asked adam to tell me this. and he told me just to preserve you from being hurt" he says and i furrow my brows.
"being hurt for what?" i scoff. he hurt me by going up to basically a stranger and telling him such an important part of my life.
joey runs a hand through his hair "when i joked about you and me being possibly together" he says and i try to remember what he's talking about "he got worried because he knows that i don't date and he thought i would deceive you-" i instantly cut him off by bursting out laughing. wow i needed this good of a laugh in a moment like this.
"why are you-" joey says and i laugh even more
"omg i can't breathe" i put a hand on my chest.
"you seriously thought that i would fall to your feet because you made a joke that, btw, i didn't even remember about?" i try to calm myself down "dude you must be fucked up" i laugh and look at joey stiffening up.
"and you, adam" i turn to look at him "i can expect that from joey but from you? do you not know me at all?" i cross my arms.
"you don't have to be such a bitch, you know" joey says and my anger starts coming back. who the fuck does he think he is.
"aww poor jo" i turn to him again "did i hurt your little ego?" i pout and he crosses his arms, mad.
"okay listen up" i tell them both and they look at me "you" i point at adam "you fucked up big time. i don't even wanna have a conversation with you at the moment so if you want to earn my trust back, leave me alone for a while" i tell him and he hesitates before nodding. i'm so mad at him but i don't wanna lose my best friend for him having my back, even tho it was really silly of him to underrate me like that. thinking i would fall for joey's attentions, pff c'mon. anyways i won't make adam's way to me easy to road. it might sound like i'm making a huge deal out of this but he just went up to a random kid and told him something that has marked me forever. me and nicole are the only ones to have the right to decide who can and can't know about that.
"and you" i point to joey "if that was what bothered you, you can relax now. i won't fall for you anytime soon, or like...ever" i scoff and get closer to him "and btw chill out, cause you're too full of yourself" i tell
him before walking past him and bumping my shoulder with his.

ouch🤭👀