Awaiting the Moment

The death wasn't some wanton desire to kill—No.

Rather, I was curious about my newfound powers.

The blood from the man flowed out like running water from his orifices, forming words on the floor.

[Two imprints on your wrists.]

I looked down at my wrists. On my left was a single red coloured mark. On my right, a red triangle

[Each red mark represents a life. Every time you die, one mark is consumed. If there is one mark remaining, once you die after that, you truly die. Each red triangle represents the strength of a human. Each kill will proportionally increase only one of the two imprints. So decide wisely.]

"It's like a mini stat window with only two options. Into strength." A second triangle appeared, my wounds suddenly closed up as renewed vigour shot through me.

This feeling of rapture—It was something I could easily get addicted to.

[Further explanation will be given down the line—If you survive till then that is.] The words mocked before turning back into a puddle of blood.

I snorted as I looked up,"What an arrogant person. Well, he does have the qualifications seeing as he could bring me back to life. No matter."

I stepped out of the mass grave only to find tens of graves just like the one I was in surrounding mine, each piled up to the brim with corpses in varying degrees of putrefaction.

The fetid odour was unpleasant and disagreeable, making me rather nauseous but I was reluctant to charge straight through the forest of unknown trees with leaves of varying colours from yellow to blue.

The sky was also an oddity.

It was not the blue I was accustomed to but rather a shade of light purple with teal clouds moving lazily across the expanse.

The sun was still as blindingly white as ever but its heat seemed to be nowhere as hot. That was a given seeing as global warming was already in a critical state back on earth.

The people here had barely started down the path of blacksmithing. But that was because they hadn't a strong need to. They had something humans on earth could merely fantasise of. Magic.

From the simplest manipulations of water to the complexities of moving cosmic galaxies with the flick of the wrist—Magic like this rivalled technology.

The laws of physics as humanity knew it,were wonky here, very much different from how they functioned on Earth.

From what the man said, it seemed flying despite being wingless was a possibility, monstrous beasts of mythical legend also seemed to exist.

Those who wielded this magic were magister and they were ranked from 1 to god knows how many.

The strongest right now was one Sir Xavier Alexander of the righteous faction, at rank 10.

But that was merely the most well known. Who knew what was masked behind the veil of unknown?

In this world, right now, there were too many uncertain factors.

The forest I stood in was appropriately called the Forest of Quietus, a place plagued by ghosts and beasts who dared called it home.

Entering it spelled certain death for a rank 1 magister, let alone a peasant girl with no magic.

But—Sitting here and waiting to die wasn't my style.

By hook or by crook, I wanted out of this place even if it meant placing my life at risk.