I Like That

I let out a laugh as I dropped my hands from her neck to the side,"I like that."

Her eyes turned from fear to confusion.

"I've noticed at least fifty trinkets hidden here prepared to save you and kill me. That circlet and all that jewellery should be countermeasures too. That man you sent to fetch me was most definitely at least rank 7 since you probably know about my reputation from Shellsby harbour. Though your acting did fool me for a split moment there, it's really rather difficult to mask that caution even with this imprint of the heart overwhelming your emotional state. Took me years to perfect, so I don't blame you for that slight blunder, really. It's best not to leave things to chance and fate, better to err on the side of caution than throw caution to the wind isn't that right?"

Her confusion turned to shock, then admiration, then joy as I continued,"Furthermore, whilst I do admit that this imprint of ours is very...Annoying. If I could withstand the torrent of emotions at just this rank 4 level of mine, surely a rank 8 could?"

Her eyes were filled with curiosity as she tilted her head,"How did you figure that out?"

"Who would be able to book a room in this place on such short notice seeing as I arrived without warning just hours ago other than someone who holds power here. There's only one person who comes to mind. Charlie Rhode, rank 8 and owner of Sinphony, Island of Cretia."

She giggled, locks of her black hair falling from her back and covering our faces from the world,"I always thought that my soulmate would be a rather dullish and unintelligent muck-up of a human. Turns out, fate has given me a Belle with smarts."

"Oh please, consider yourself lucky you didn't fall for fake love."

"Hm?" She tilted her head, curious to know more.

"I've just been dumped recently. A man who supposedly liked me actually had feelings for someone else. The fact that this happened just after I killed the rank 6s compounded my distaste for these emotional matters. To have a kindred soul who understands the annoyance that is this vague emotion you barely have control over, it is, how you say, comforting?"

She giggled as she moved off me, sitting down on the floor,"I suppose we can do away with the acting and testing the waters. Since you've decided to come here, surely you would have countermeasures in place to escape?"

"Most certainly. I can fly. You can't."

Her eyes sparkled at my words,"Oh yeah! I heard about that from my butler! Just how did you managed that?"

"Trade secret, Miss Rhode."

"Oh, just call me Charlie," She waved dismissively as a cheery smile blossomed on her face, eyes glittering as if she'd won the lottery,"No person is going around calling their friends using formalities!"

She was most definitely a good actor. Someone who was easygoing but could very well switch to cruel at the drop of a hat, a personality I took a huge liking to very quickly,"Artemis Blythe. A pleasure to meet you Charlie. Since you so warmly want to do away with formalities, do call me Artemis then."

"Artemis, is it? A pretty name befitting of a beautiful woman," She giggled, licking her lips,"If it hadn't been for that feisty attitude of yours, I'd have devoured you in bed already."

I rolled my eyes,"Please, I'm not a sex fiend. I haven't officially been with a boy since I turned what, thirteen, let alone have sex?"

"Oh, a virgin? I do love deflowering innocent boys and girls like you. Though I prefer more mature men and women. But! Talking about sex is rather boring wouldn't you say? How about we get to it already?"