OOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

A/N
As you can probably tell, I was bored seeing as this is my sixth chapter in a day. Despite my mid year examinations being on the horizon, I decided to let off a little stress today and write my worries away. So until I run out of steam, I'll probably be posting more chapters.

———

Just as we were having our quiet moment, the cavern rumbled softly, the crystals along the walls forming into a projection of a dragon.

Lucius pulled me into a tight embrace, arms circling me just above my waist, my back pressed tightly against his chest, his two other arms pulled back, as if ready to fight.

This snapped me out from my phase of embarrassment as I dryly commented,"I can take care of myself y'know?"

"I do not want to take risks."

Deciding to let it go this time round and simply enjoy the show instead of putting in effort, I rested my arms on his and looked up.

Lucius, realising who the dragon was, shouted,"F-Father?"

Artemis, I cannot thank you enough. Please, take this.

A small orange orb floated into my hands, melting and forming into a dragon scale on the dorsal side of my left hand,"This is...?"

My powers. Once you are strong enough, they will reveal themselves to you. As for now, I wish to ask: Though my son might be a little dim, I do hope that you can take care of h—

"Rest assured." I spouted without even thinking. I had already made my decision to save him. If I let him die, then I would be going against my own word.
This would be unacceptable in my eyes.

Then I suppose you are my soon to be daughter-in-law. So, I grant you one last gift.

A small imprint of an ancient word I hadn't come across before imprinted itself on my right shoulder.

Should you ever head to the Sanguis East, my authority still stands. Reveal the imprint and you will be treated graciously.

Turning its gaze to Lucius, the dragon Tarkyol spoke thus.

Treat her well. Don't let father down after all I've done for you.

He nodded,"I will."

Then I will open the exit. Careful, the yawning abyss awaits.

The phantom of the dragon faded away as Lucius placed me on his shoulders,"I will bring you out."

I rolled my eyes,"Possessiveness isn't a positive trait."

"The Yawning Abyss is very scary Artemis."

"Scary?" I turned my head upwards,"How is it scary?" I almost felt like a child again, as if I were sitting on the shoulders of my father back when I was younger, asking him questions he always had answers to.

"The Yawning Abyss goes by another name. The Twilight Barrier. That is because, once nightfall arrives, monsters from the underworld will roam this earth in search of nourishment."

Could this be the thing Orthello was talking about?

"Please stay close, Artemis. I will protect you. I will not let you end up like mother." He spoke softly, that underlying determination clear to me.

This big oaf was rather endearing. To be so large yet so simple-minded, like a gentle giant. It reminded me of the BFG in Roald Dahl's book going by the same name mum had read to me when I was in primary school, to send me to sleep every night. It was one of my favourites. I'd even spent a few nights awake in hope of meeting the BFG, only to head to school with bags under my eyes.