Inferior

Inferior.

I felt so inferior.

How could I match up to that?

"Yue."

"Mm?"

"Is there any way to send me back?"

"What? What do you mean Arakan?"

"I-We-I...I just think that maybe you got the wrong guy. What if I'm not this great hero you thought I would be? I mean look at me, I'm just some no-name rank 3 and that...That person I'm trying to defeat is already at the peak of the world."

"Perhaps, perhaps she has died."

"No," I shook my head,"She couldn't have. I'm not sure of Sir Alexander and Lorentio but she isn't dead. I can't tell you why, but I know for sure. And I just feel so inferior when I compare myself to her? Can I even hold a candle to her?"

Pak!

I was slapped roughly by Yue. She was mad, I could tell,"Arakan Aki. You will not put yourself down like this. You will not think like this. You will do great things in the future. Many will look to you as a symbol of power and glory! It's just, you've had a rough start is all, alright? As long as you work hard, I'm sure you will succeed in ending that person. So, promise me that you won't ever look down on yourself ever again, okay?" I nodded wordlessly as she hugged me tightly once before leaving me to rest.

Two years. Two years I'd been training to get to this level. And I was still seven ranks behind her. Even if I didn't want to admit, even if Yue didn't want to make me admit it, within everyone, I could tell, they had this small voice deep down in their hearts. This tiny, insignificant voice saying 'What if. What if he isn't the one?' That small voice of doubt, casting a shadow that grew larger and larger with each and every blunder of mine.

I looked down at my arms. I had 3 blue triangles. The strength of 300 men. Enough for me to face Willow in combat and hold my own but not enough to best her quite yet. It had been made abundantly clear that this gap between me and Willow was closing. But this gap between Artemis and I still seemed to be expanding, like a ravine millions of kilometres wide, uncrossable.

In my moment of doubt, a voice sounded. No that disfigured voice who granted me my mana ring, no. A different voice.

Arakan Aki sat on his bed,
Doubful and sad, hanging his head,
Full of what ifs and regret,
Continue in this stead,
You will end up dead.

He wanted to be great,
His growth to accelerate,
Inferiority alleviate,
And so a voice said:

Forget the heroism, forget the virtue,
These annoying topics, they only hurt you,
Join my side, power I imbue,
Your time to shine has been long overdue.

"Who-Who are you?"

Did you like my poem? I tried really hard to impress you, Arakan. Anyway, you can call me Lynx. I'm here to help you Arakan. I've seen you feel so inferior. And I like helping inferior people. So I'm extending a graceful hand in your time of need: I will grant you power!

"Power?" I asked,"What kind?"

Oh Arakan Arakan! Fear not! This power will instantly make you as strong as a rank 7! And, if you follow what I say, you can even grow to rank 15, 30 or even 60! So, what say you?

"R-Rank 60? R-Rank 60s exist?" This revelation struck a chord in my heart. I was merely a twentieth of the rank of these powerful individuals, not even as strong as an ant in their eyes. I was merely thin air before them, serving as nothing more that absolutely nothing!

Of course they do my dear Arakan! Just not in this world! But of course, if you take my hand, I'll bring you power you can't even begin to fathom!

"W-What do I have to do?"

Ah, I am a just cause, Arakan! I fight for virtue! But I must warn you, what you're about to hear will most definitely be the most shocking piece of gossip!

"Tell me."

Heheh well, you see, the righteous faction of this world aren't really all that righteous! Once I grant you this power, you can immediately go to the dungeon where you will find several families chained and locked up for the royal family, yes, even your beloved Yue's, sick enjoyment. Terrible isn't it?

"No, impossible!" I shouted,"Yue wouldn't-"

HAH! How would you know? After all, you only know this side of Yue. What about the times she's with others? No, no, you know nothing! But if you don't believe me, you can always check.

I felt so utterly and thoroughly betrayed. This voice had so much confidence in its words I was already beginning to lean more towards its side, believing its words,"Then...What do you want me to do?"

Purge this world of evil, Arakan! Just like what the great hero would do! I will grant you a little detector to aid in identifying evil. As long as you see someone evil, you must kill them at all costs! Your first target will be the Darleen Kingdom's royal family.

As it said these words, hesitation, incertitude hit me. What if the voice was lying? Could I even muster up the resolve to kill Yue despite knowing her true personality?

Worry not Arakan! Once you look in the dungeons, all will be made clear! As for that beloved Yue of yours, she can be saved.

"S-She can be saved? Tell me how!"

So long as you kill her entire family and make her drink a vial of each family member's blood before having intercourse with her, she will never turn to evil again so long as you wish it! This may seem sick and demented but you must understand, it is like fighting fire with fire! Only by being more ruthless than that evil demon residing inside her mind will you be able to drive it out!

"I-I see! It's starting to make sense..."

So, Arakan, will you take up this offer? Get rid of this old power and take mine. Then rise to the very top as you purge this world of evil!