Heading Off

I stayed at Juniper City's Songbird's Retreat for a couple more days, tying up some loose ends.

For one, there was that small request from Lako Hall I wanted to finish up for a bit of spare pocket change to spend. Then, there was the matter of selling off the profits from war.

The first one was rather simple and I finished that up within an hour. As for the second, I knew exactly where to go.

"Here you go Lady Blythe, 13,000 gold rounded up," Orthello Smoak, the merchant that'd brought me here laid down a sack of money,"And, Elder Farlein, the father of that boy you saved, sends his gratitude." He sat down five mana stones, a rather hefty gift of gratitude.

I kept the money and nodded,"I appreciate your help."

He shook his head,"To help the famous saviour of Juniper City, it is my honour Lady Blythe."

"I'll be sure to use this company's business though I doubt you'd be having a branch in the place I'm heading to."

His ears perked up,"Lady Blythe, I wonder, where are you heading? The Golden Heavens Trading Company has branches everywhere! Even the Sanguis East holds six branches!"

I chuckled at his proclamation. I had indeed wanted to head to the Sanguis East. But in the end, curiosity got the better of me. I had wanted to unearth whatever secret lied in those foreign lands,"I'm heading to the Ypogeios Tundra."

Upon hearing my words, his eyes widened,"Y-Yuh-Ypogeios T-Tan-Tundra? Lady Blythe you mustn't! T-That place is cursed! Cursed I tell you!"

I raised a brow at his maddened expression of hysteria,"Cursed? How so?"

"I-I was once a part of a squad of mercenaries called the Dalia, sixty men strong! We received a request from the City of Blackharp under jurisdiction of the Wedygnos Monarchy to enter the Y-Y-Ypogeios Tundra and bring back an item. When we entered, nothing much was there except the cold lands and dead terrain. We thought the rumours of the place being forbidden ground was merely just that—Rumours. But then night fell," Orthello's face paled as layer glazed of fright covered his eyes.
Monsters, Lady Blythe. I saw monsters beyond wildest imaginations with magic far beyond what I'd seen in my lifetime." He paused for a moment, letting out a shivering breath as his eyes clouded over, as if he were reminiscing about something.

"Terrifying colossal beasts, mighty titans roaming the lands in search of prey, monstrous demons in search of blood! I ran. I ran like a coward. But I don't regret it. Because of the Dalia, of the sixty men. I am the only one left alive. I learnt that three others had made it out alive, barely hanging by a thread. Their body was mangled, minds in disarray. Despite the rank 6 magister of the Wdygnos Monarchy's best efforts, they weren't able to piece together what they'd seen, let alone save them. Lady Blythe, please heed my words: Do not enter the forbidden grounds. I have scars to prove the dangers." He pulled up his shirt, his back marred with scars, some blackened, some healing, others still raw, red, seemingly having not healed.

Fear was a natural instinct. Difficult to fake convincingly. But possible, nonetheless. But scars? Scars were quite possibly the most telling. Like reminders of a battle. And those scars told a story. A story which intrigued me even more.

"I thank you for your information, Orthello but I still wish to see for myself. I've courted death many a time and If I die, so be it." I laughed internally. In this world, I was probably the only one to be able to say that with confidence. After all, I had plenty of lives to spare.

Orthello sighed, shaking his head,"Lady Blythe, you're a beautiful woman with such power. I'd wager any rational man would fall at your feet, grovelling to marry you. I'd have done so long ago if I hadn't a wife at home. Why go out into the unknown and risk death?"