Out of the Shadows

As you can tell, I renamed the book to a more fitting title I guess. Antagonist felt like too much of a mouthful. I'm currently very annoyed seeing as the app I use for making my covers has become practically unusable after the new update. That simple cover which would've taken 5 minutes at most took me 30 FUCKING MINUTES because the app had become so restricted pushing towards the 'fremium' model.

Anyway, other than the title and summary, everything's the same. The story continues and as per my schedule ~1-7 chapters daily depending on mood. Enjoy.

~Euphonics

———

We stayed for a week, touring the city I had stayed in years ago, trying out foods I missed. But, all good times had to come to an end. I promised Julius I would visit in the future. I had a small packet of fried rupids, like sweeter versions of french fries.

Just as we were about to leave, a terrified man appeared at his doorstep,"L-Lord! Clan Leader has called for you!"

"What's happened?" Julius questioned the frightened man with an odd look. We stood silently by the side, casually listening in on the conversation as I looked to Charlie.

She nodded. This morning, we'd felt an odd disturbance but dismissed it as natural phenomena. After all, not everyone could easily invade this would-be city buried this deep inland of righteous territory. While those who could lacked the motivations to do so seeing as Juniper wasn't a pivotal city in the grand scheme of things.

"T-Those Xotika bastards and the FIC have come!"

The Xotika was a familiar term—Savage barbarian beings which only resembled elves in terms of physical characteristics. The FIC, I inferred, was very much an external threat.

"T-There's a rank 7 leading them Lord! T-They say to surrender now before the Barshiek is destroyed like they did with the Colvihar clan!"

"Rank 8? What did my father say?"

"I-I am unsure Lord!" Julius' face was grim. The rank 5s were bad enough. Now a rank 7 had appeared to cause trouble—It was rather unlucky. Though, quite coincidentally, I was here on both occasions.

"The citizens?"

"The man has said if we evacuate them, he will immediately kill everyone!"

"This bastard!"

"Ey. How about you let me deal with this?" I called out casually, licking the last bit of oil from my fingers.

"But I have nothing to offer y—"

"Relax. That book you gave helped kickstart stuff for me. Just get me and Charlie a cirsque each later and I'm content. Besides, isn't it just a rank 7? You stay back and tell your dad. I'll go play. Charlie?"

"It has been quite a while since I've needed to do work," She stretched her arms,"Since Artemis says you're an ally, a friend of a friend is also similarly a friend of mine. I don't mind dealing with small fry."

"You two..." Julius seemed to be weighed down by something as he bowed a full 90 degrees, showing his respect,"The Barshiek clan will remember this kindness."

"Just remember that cirsque then." Stepping out, the pink moons on my arms glowed. With a single step, I appeared at the gates of the city, casually staring down at the army. 10,000 strong, a far cry from that army I had seen Xavier and Lorentio lead.

An arrogant man stood at the forefront, greyish skin, fangs protruding from his lips, a stark crimson hair more jarring than red stoplights. Rune-like figures were carved into his chest, the clear aura of a rank 7 radiating from him as he held a great sword in his hand, the originally two-handed weapon was being wielded as if it were a one-handed rapier or short sword, his strength and mastery making the weapon seemingly weightless to wield.